1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract alg - SL(2,Z3)

1. Sep 29, 2004 #1
    i have a question about elements in SL(2,Z3), a,b,c,d are intergers and ad-bc=1 or Det [A]=1. i have to write all the matrices of this group and prove that I do have all of them.

i know that only 3 elements exists in Z3 {[0],[1],[2]} with all others just being repeats. i.e. [-3]=0, [[4]=[1].

i can write 24 elements with ad-bc=1,
    i.e. [[1,2],[2,2]] which is [1][2]-[2][2]=[2]-[4]=[-2]=[1]

my problem is that i can't quite write WHY i have found all elements and they are no more, i was trying to appraoch i using contradiction but cant get started

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 30, 2004 #2

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a well known formula for the formula of order of finite chevalley groups and finite lie groups, of whic SL(2,Z_3) is one.

The first row may be any of 8 non-zero row vectors, ie a and b can be any pair except 0,0. Now, for each pair, one of the entries must be non-zero, you may now insert any of the elements of Z3 in the slot beneath this non-zero one, and this determines what the remaining 4th entry must be. hence counting them there are 8*3=24 elements.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?