1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Algebra Abstract algebra book

1. Apr 27, 2015 #1
    Hello,

A couple of years ago I studied abstract algebra from Dummit and Foote. However, I was never able to gain the intuition on the subject that I would like from that book. I want to study the subject again, and I want to use a different book this time around - one that covers a lot of ground, and gives rigorous definitions, but is otherwise fairly informal in its presentation.

I recently studied topology using Klaus Janich's "Topology" from the undergraduate texts in mathematics series. It was great, and I would like an abstract algebra equivalent to this book.

Does anyone know of an abstract algebra textbook that they would classify as being cut from the same cloth as Janich's "Topology"?

Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2015 #2

micromass

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor
    2016 Award

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  4. Apr 28, 2015 #3
    Cool, thanks. It looks like that the same series, so is probably the kind of thing that I'm looking for.

Anyone know any good ones to gain an intuitive understanding of other algebraic structures, e.g., rings, fields?

Thanks.

5. Apr 29, 2015 #4

verty

Homework Helper

There is one by Birkhoff & Mac Lane that looks good, the 3rd edition in print still.

6. Apr 30, 2015 #5
    That looks great. I think those two books should be just the combo I'm looking for.

Thanks very much.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted