1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra - Centralizers

1. Feb 24, 2005 #1
    I was given this problem to work out but I'm still a little bad when it comes to proofs, but here's the question. I have given it a little thought but I can't seem to prove what I feel is the correct answer without brute forcing the answer in such an ugly way.

Let G = [tex]S_7[/tex], where [tex]S_7[/tex] is the group of permutations of the cyclic group (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7) (for example (7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1)). Determine the centralizer [tex]C_G(\sigma)[/tex] where [tex]\sigma[/tex] is the cycle (1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7), where the centralizer by definition is any element C of the given group such that [tex]C\sigma = \sigma C[/tex] over the given operation. Also, prove that your answer is correct.

Part 1 wasn't too bad: [tex]C_G(\sigma) = k\sigma (mod 7)[/tex], or (k, 2k, 3k, 4k, 5k, 6k, 7k)(mod 7) where k is any integer not divisible by 7, and 0 is taken to be equivalent to 7. Obviously any integer k = 7p + r would produce the same results as k = r for integer p, so I only have to deal with k = 1-6. I hope that made sense: I'm not sure my first way of writing what the centralizer is was correct. However, I'm having trouble producing a proof that I think is acceptable. I think I could easily show that each k satisfies commutativity but it seems so brute-forced. Is there a more elegant solution I can employ? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2005
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 24, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Nitpick: S7 is the group of permutations on any 7 distinct objects.

It's clear that each k produces an element of the centralizer... that cycle is simply the k-th power of the given cycle!

Frankly, I think the most straightforward approach is to write down an arbitrary permutation:

1->a
    2->b
    7->g

plug into the equation of commutativity, and then solve.

(Though, I haven't tried it)...

4. Feb 24, 2005 #3
    Helpful as always, thanks! Yeah I meant your definition of [tex]S_7[/tex], I was trying to paraphrase the question from my notes and it always comes out half-conceived. I think I completely solved it now though with your suggestions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?