Abstract Algebra - Compositions

In summary, the conversation is about an interesting problem that came up while reading a journal in the American Mathematics Society publications. The problem states that for all integers n greater than or equal to 3, the number of compositions of n into relatively prime parts is a multiple of 3. The conversation involves trying to find a proof for this problem, with one person sharing their progress so far and the other offering their ideas. The conversation also includes a formula that the first person came up with, but it fails for certain values of n. The conversation ends with the second person pointing out a strange pattern in the formula and suggesting to continue exploring different ideas.
TimNguyen
Hello.

I was reading a journal and an interesting problem came up. I believe the journal was in the American Mathematics Society publications. Well, here's the statement.

"For all integers, n greater than or equal to 3, the number of compositions of n into relatively prime parts is a multiple of 3."

Example : For 4: the compositions of relatively prime parts are:

(1,3), (3,1), (2,1,1), (1,2,1), (1,1,2), (1,1,1,1).

This is what I have so far for a "proof":

Let n be an integer greater than or equal to 3.
Then the first composition will be given by (n-1, 1), (1, n-1); since for all k, an integer, (k, 1) and (1, k) are always relatively prime.
Also, (1, 1, ..., 1) where the composition adds to n is also an obtainable composition.

(So basically, I've gotten the end points of the compositions to be a multiple of 3, then I need to prove that the "in-between" compositions will also be a multiple of 3.)

Well, obviously I'm stuck there. I've tried to split it into two cases afterwards where the cases involve n - odd and n - even but it has come to no avail. Also I've tried to find a formula where the compositions of relatively prime parts is a multiple of 3 but it fails at "6". Here was the formula I came up with that failed, if it could be potentially be improved upon.

Formula: Starting at n=1, where i=3, i being the starting point.

(i)!/2^n

Like:
For 3, 3! = 6 divided by 2^1 = 2 will equal 3 compositions- a multiple of 3
For 4, 4! = 24 divided by 2^2 = 4 will equal 6 compositions - a multiple of 3
For 5, 5! = 120 divided by 2^3 = 8 will equal 15 compositions - multiple of 3

Well, hopefully people will post their ideas...

Physics news on Phys.org
Any good algebraists in here?

For 6, 6! = 720 divided by 2^4 = 16 will equal 45 compositions - a multiple of 3.

For 7, 7! = 5040 divided by 2^5 = 32 will equal 157.5 compositions - a multiple of something, but definitely not 3.

It doesn't work for (7, 5)... But (6, 4) works, doesn't it?

And then it resumes working at (8, 6)... That's strange.

Last edited:

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, fields, and vector spaces. It focuses on the properties of these structures and their interactions, rather than specific numbers or objects.

What is a composition in abstract algebra?

In abstract algebra, a composition is a binary operation that combines two elements from a set to form a third element. It is a fundamental concept in abstract algebra and is used to define algebraic structures and their properties.

What is the difference between a composition and a function?

A composition is a binary operation that takes two elements and produces a third, while a function is a mapping between two sets that assigns each element of the first set to a unique element of the second set. In other words, a composition combines elements, while a function maps them.

What are some examples of compositions in abstract algebra?

Some examples of compositions in abstract algebra include addition and multiplication for numbers, matrix multiplication, and function composition. These operations all take two elements and produce a third according to specific rules.

Why are compositions important in abstract algebra?

Compositions are important in abstract algebra because they allow us to define and study algebraic structures, such as groups and rings. They also help us understand the properties and interactions of these structures and their elements.