1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra functions.

1. Apr 30, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

f is a quadratic function from the second degree and [tex]f(a)=bc;f(b)=ac;f(c)=ab[/tex]

2. Relevant equations

Calculate : [tex]f(a+b+c)[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution

Can we say that [tex]f(a+b+c)=f(a)+f(b)+f(c)[/tex] and the go on from there plugging in the values of each one are do i have to do something else?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2012
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 30, 2012 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

No, you can't do that. You haven't used the fact that f is a quadratic function. You know what that means, right?

4. Apr 30, 2012 #3
    What do you mean a quadratic function to the second degree is written in the form ax^2+bx+c that's correct right?

5. Apr 30, 2012 #4

Mark44

Yes. Note that "quadratic function to the second degree" is redundant. Quadratic means "squared".

So f(x) = ax2 + bx + c.

6. Apr 30, 2012 #5

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Of course, for your function, you will want to different variable names for your coefficients, perhaps:
    [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=Dx^2+Ex+G[/itex]​

Are you sure you aren't working with a more limited form of a quadratic? ... It's possible that is the case due to the relationships that were stated.

7. Apr 30, 2012 #6

Mark44

That ambiguity occurred to me, too, but I'm leaning toward the view that a, b, and c in the problem description are the same as the coefficients of the terms in the quadratic. I could be wrong, though.

8. May 1, 2012 #7
    Yes i could work with other variables too say alpha β or gamma. And the a,b,and c have nothing to do with the form of the quadratic equation itself.

9. May 1, 2012 #8

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Letting [itex]\displaystyle f(x)=Dx^2+Ex+G[/itex], you might look at [itex]\displaystyle f(a)-f(b)[/itex] for instance.
    [itex]\displaystyle f(a)-f(b)=bc-ac[/itex]
    which becomes​
    [itex]\displaystyle Da^2+Ea+G-Db^2-Eb-G=c(b-a)[/itex]​
    A little algebra will give a relationship between the constants D & E and the quantities a+b and c.

That will eliminate the constant, G.

BTW: What course is this for ?

10. May 1, 2012 #9
    I'm a junior in high school in Morocco, and this is a problem our teacher gave us and told us think about it.

11. May 1, 2012 #10
    Ok so this is what i got:

[tex]f(a+b+c)=Da^{2}+Ea+G+Db^{2}+Db+G+Dc^{2}+Dc+G[/tex] then you factor it out and you get:

[tex]D(a^{2}+b^{2}+c^{2})+E(a+b+c)+3G=c(a+b)+ab[/tex]

Now can we use substitution for a+b+c or what from here on?

12. May 1, 2012 #11

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No. You're still treating this as if [itex]\displaystyle f(a+b+c)=f(a)+f(b)+f(c)\,,[/itex] which is definitely not the case.

[itex]\displaystyle f(a+b+c)=D(a+b+c)^2+E(a+b+c)+G[/itex]

and of course,
    [itex]\displaystyle (a+b+c)^2=a^2+2ab+b^2+2bc+c^2+2ac\ .[/itex]

Etc.

Last edited: May 1, 2012
  13. May 2, 2012 #12
    Yea i solved it . Thank you for your help.

14. May 2, 2012 #13

SammyS

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

What was your result ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook