1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra isomorphic

1. Feb 23, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

If a and g are elements of a group, prove that C(a) is isomorphic to C(gag-1)

2. Relevant equations

I have defined to mapping to be f:C(gag-1) to C(a) with f(h)=g-1hg.
    I have no idea if this is right.

3. The attempt at a solution
    I don't have a clue at the solution, any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2010 #2
    forgot to mention, that C(a) and C(gag^-1) means the centralizer of a and the centralizer of gag^-1. The centralizer of a is the set of all elements in G that commute with a.
  4. Feb 23, 2010 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Have you tried proving it's an isomorphism? Or at least stating what that would mean?
  5. Feb 23, 2010 #4
    here is my new attempt at the solution:
    1. Mapping: F:C(gag^-1) to C(a) is obviously a well defined function with f(h)=g^-1hg.
    2. One to one- Let h and l be elements of C(gag^-1). Then by definition of f, g^-1hg=g^-1lg, this h=l by left and right cancellation laws.
    3. Onto- let k=gmg^-1 that is an element of C(a). Let p=m. Obviously p is an element of C(gag^-1). Then f(p)=f(m)=gmg^-1. Thus f is onto.
    4. Operation oreservation
    Let r,s be elements of C(gag^-1). Then f(r*s)=(g^-1)*r*s*g= (g^-1)*r*e*s*g *(e=identity element)=(g^-1)*r*g*(g^-1)*s*g=((g^-1)*r*s)*((g^-1)*s*g)(associativity of operation)=f(r)*f(s).
    Thus f preserves the operation and C(a) and C(gag^-1) are isomorphic.
    Does this sound any better.
  6. Feb 24, 2010 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

My issues:

1. To be a well-defined function C(gag-1) -> C(a), the relation you defined
      f(h) = g-1hg​
      has to have two properties:
      • It must be a function
      • C(a) contains the image of C(gag-1)
      I will agree that it's obviously one-to-one. I suspect your professor would prefer more justification on the second part.
    2. This is more-or-less fine. I think you forgot a phrase like "such that f(h)=f(l)" somewhere, though.
    3. I'm really confused about what you're doing here. (Also, I suspect your professor would prefer "obviously" to be replaced with something more details)
    4. This is good.
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook