1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra/Number Theory

1. Apr 30, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    For a homework exercise I had to first prove Wilson's Theorem, which I have solved; however, the second part is giving me trouble. I am to suppose that n>1 is not prime and Z*n is a cyclic group. I have allowed a1, a2, ..., a(phi(n)) be the elements in Z*n. I have to prove that a1*a2* ...*a(ϕ(n)) ≡ -1(mod n)

I am just looking for a push in the right direction if anyone could help. I believe I am supposed to go back to Wilson's Theorem, but I can't see the connection with composite order.
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    I realize that if n is composite then n = ab where 1 < a < b < n. Also, ((n-1)!, n) > a > 1 since a|(n-1)!. If I can get (n-1)! ≡ -1 (mod p), then it is clear that (n-1)! does have a multiplicative inverse mod n, which is -1. My problem is that that is mod p... please help.

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?