1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract algebra problem concern

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    My prof. assigned this problem as the only one for HW a few days back, and for some reason the answer seems too obvious. What subtleties could I possibly be missing?

Let G be a group of permutations in a set S. If [tex]x, y \in S[/tex] and [tex] y \in orb_g(x)[/tex], then [tex]orb_g(y) = orb_g(x)[/tex]

Still, I am unsure how to put it in words. I'll edit this post as I come up with ideas but I think I might need a kick in the right direction, because even as I'm writing this I'm starting to realize it's not entirely trivial.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it's obvious too. :smile:

I would just make sure I did the algebra in painstaking detail, so that I wasn't worried about any of the steps.

4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    It's good to hear I wasn't overthinking it then! Here is my rough answer that I'll fine-tune later but I'd like to hear opinions on it.

I define G as follows: [tex]G = \{\phi_e, \phi_1, \phi^{-1}_1, \phi_2, \phi^{-1}_2, ...\}[/tex]

If [tex]y \in orb_G(x)[/tex], then [tex]\phi(x) = y[/tex] for some [tex]\phi \in G[/tex]. Obviously since G is a group, [tex]\phi^{-1} \in G, \phi^{-1}(y) = x[/tex]. That being said, am I on the right track at least? I know it's not complete, but it shouldn't be hard to wrap up.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  5. Mar 22, 2005 #4
    Ok now I'm stumped. I proved that [tex]x \in orb_G(y)[/tex] by [tex]y \in orb_G(x)[/tex] but I can't seem to tie an arbitrary element of [tex]orb_g(x)[/tex] to [tex]orb_g(y)[/tex], ie I can't determine [tex]\phi_i(x) = x_i = \phi_j(y)[/tex]. Any guidance?

Edit: I think I got the missing key. Since G is a group, any arbitrary [tex]\phi_i, \phi_j \in G[/tex], [tex]\phi_i\phi_j[/tex] must also lie in G. So for an arbitary [tex]x_i \in orb_G(x) | \phi_i(x) = x_i[/tex], if [tex]\phi(x) = y, \phi \in G[/tex] then [tex] \phi_i(\phi^{-1}(y)) = x_i[/tex] and by the closed nature of G, [tex]\phi_i(\phi^{-1}(y)) \in G[/tex]

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2005
  6. Mar 23, 2005 #5

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Stylistic note: there's no reason to write an enumeration of the elements of G. Furthermore, it is misleading, or even wrong! For example, the group might not be countable, or maybe [itex]\phi_1 = \phi_1^{-1}[/itex]!

Your edit makes me think you have the right idea... now clean it up! Make it look like:

Let [itex]z \in \mathrm{Orb}_G(x)[/itex]
    Therefore [itex]z \in \mathrm{Orb}_G(y)[/itex]

And vice versa. (Or, do the whole thing with if and only if deductions, so you don't have to do the vice versa)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?