1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra problem (related to Rings of Polynomails

1. Dec 9, 2008 #1
    We'll I made it through another semester, but it seems that I am completely stuck on the last problem of the last homework assignment. I've made a little progress, but I'm really having trouble understanding the question. Perhaps someone on these forums will have some insight

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let F be a field. An element [tex] \phi \in F^F [/tex] is a polynomial function on F if there exists an [tex] f(x) \in F[x] \text{ s.t. } \phi(a) = f(a) \; \forall a \in F [/tex]

a) Show that the set [tex] P_F [/tex] of all polynomial functions on F form a subring of [tex]F^F[/tex]

b) Show that the ring [tex] P_F [/tex] is not necessarily isomorphic to F[x] (Hint: show that if F is a finite field, then [tex] P_F [/tex] and F[x] don't have the same number of elements)

2. Relevant equations
    In this problem, [tex] F^F [/tex] refers to the set of all functions mapping F to F, and F[x] refers to the ring of polynomials with coefficients in F.

3. The attempt at a solution

Part b) doesn't seem so difficult. If we let [tex]F = \mathbb{Z}_2 [/tex], then there are only 4 functions in all since there are only two possible values in the domain and range. But [tex] \mathbb{Z}_2 [x] [/tex] has infinitely many elements, so they cannot be isomorphic.

Part a) though has me stumped. We have that [tex]P_F \subseteq F^F[/tex], so for any [tex]\phi \in P_F, \longrightarrow \phi: F \rightarrow F [/tex]. If we let [tex] \phi, \psi \in P_F \; f(x), g(x) \in F[x][/tex], then we have that [tex] \phi(a) = f(a), \; \psi(a) = \g(a) [/tex].

Am I understanding this correctly? How can I demonstrate that it satisfies the ring axioms? Just directly apply them and see if it works? Or am I missing something?

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?