What is the Center of a Clifford Algebra of Order 2^n?

In summary, the center of a Clifford algebra of order 2^n is of order 1 if n is even, and 2 if n is odd. This is because for n even, only the unit element \gamma_0 commutes with all the other bases, while for n odd, both \gamma_0 and \gamma_{\{1,2,...,n\}} commute with all the other bases. It can also be shown that the center is spanned by the bases that commute with all the other bases, as no linear combinations of non-commuting bases can commute with all bases.
sunjin09

Homework Statement

Show that the center of a Clifford algebra of order 2^n is of order 1 if n is even, and 2 if n is odd

Homework Equations

the center of an algebra is the subalgebra that commutes with all elements
Clifford algebra of 2^n is defined as being spanned by the bases
[itex]\gamma_0,\gamma_1,...\gamma_n[/itex]
where [itex]\gamma_0[/itex] is the unit element, as well as
[itex]\gamma_{\{n_k\}}=\Pi_{n_k}\gamma_{n_k}[/itex]
where [itex]1\le n_k\le n[/itex], and the mutiplication rule is
[itex]\gamma_u\gamma_v+\gamma_v\gamma_u=2\delta_{u,v} \gamma_0[/itex]
where [itex]\delta[/itex] is the Kronecker Delta symbol

The Attempt at a Solution

I was able to show that for n even, only [itex]\gamma_0[/itex] commutes with all the other bases
and for n odd, only [itex]\gamma_0[/itex] and [itex]\gamma_{\{1,2,...,n\}}[/itex] commutes with all the other bases, but
how can I know that the center is spanned by the bases that commutes with
all the other bases?

In other words, how do I know that no linear combinations of
non-commuting bases commutes to all bases?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I finally figured it out. Two things need to be realized:
1.All the basis elements are invertible
2.Any pair of the basis elements either commute with each other or anti-commute with each other;
These may be verified fairly easily from the definition.

Now if x is in the center, x must commute with all the basis elements. For any basis element γ, x may be
written as x=x1+x2, where x1γ=γx1 and x2γ=-γx2; since xγ=γx, we have x2γ=0; since γ is invertible, x2=0;
since x2 which depends on γ equals 0 for all γ, x must contain only components that commutes with all basis,
i.e., γ0 and possibly γ{1,2,...,n}, qed.

fairly straightforward, it feels good to know the answer. Anyone has a simpler proof?

What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures such as groups, rings, and fields. These structures are defined using abstract concepts and rules, rather than specific numbers or equations.

What is an abstract algebra problem?

An abstract algebra problem is a mathematical question or exercise that involves applying abstract algebra concepts and techniques to solve it. These problems typically require a strong understanding of algebraic structures and their properties.

What are some common topics in abstract algebra problems?

Some common topics in abstract algebra problems include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. These topics involve understanding the properties and operations of algebraic structures, as well as applying them to solve equations and prove theorems.

How can I approach solving an abstract algebra problem?

The key to solving an abstract algebra problem is to first understand the definitions and properties of the algebraic structures involved. Then, use these definitions and properties to manipulate and simplify the problem. It can also be helpful to work through examples and practice problems to build your understanding and problem-solving skills.

Why is abstract algebra important in science?

Abstract algebra is important in science because it provides a powerful tool for understanding and solving complex mathematical problems. It has applications in various fields such as physics, computer science, cryptography, and engineering. Additionally, the abstract nature of algebraic structures allows for generalization and abstraction, making it useful in formulating and solving real-world problems.