1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra Problem

1. Sep 24, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let [itex]A[/itex] be an abelian group, written additively, and let [itex]n[/itex] be a positive integer such that [itex]nx=0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in A[/itex]. Such an integer n is called an exponent for A. Assume that we can write [itex]n=rs[/itex], where r, s are positive relatively prime integers. Let [itex]A_{r}[/itex] consist of all [itex]x \in A[/itex] such that [itex]rx=0[/itex], and similarly [itex]A_{s}[/itex] consist of all [itex]x \in A[/itex] such that [itex]sx=0[/itex]. Show that every element [itex]a \in A[/itex] can be written uniquely in the form [itex]a=b+c[/itex], with [itex]b \in A_{r}[/itex], and [itex]c \in A_{s}[/itex]. Hence [itex]A=A_{r} \oplus A_{s}[/itex].

2. Relevant equations

Theorem #1
    The abelian group A is a direct sum of subgroups B and C if and only if [itex]A=B+C[/itex] and [itex]B \cap C = {0}[/itex]. This is the case if and only if the map [itex]B*C \to A[/itex] given by [itex](b,c) \mapsto b+c[/itex] is an isomorphism.

3. The attempt at a solution
    So essentially, what needs to be shown is that [itex]A=A_{r}+A_{s}[/itex] and that [itex]A_{r} \cap A_{s} = {0}[/itex]. I went ahead and used the latter form of Theorem #1, namely showing that [itex]A_{r} * A_{s} \to A[/itex] is an isomorphism. I already showed that [itex]A_{r} * A_{s}[/itex] is a homomorphism and that it is injective. So, the last step is to show that it is also surjective in order to establish that it is an isomorphism.

Conjecture #1: [itex]A_{r}[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]A[/itex] with order r.
    Proof: We know that [itex]0 \in A_{r}[/itex] since [itex]r0=0[/itex]. Suppose [itex]a_{1},a_{2} \in A_{r}[/itex]. Then [itex]r(a_{1}+a_{2})=r a_{1} + r a_{2} = 0[/itex] since r is some positive integer (not necessarily in A). It also follows that [itex]-a_{1} \in A_{r}[/itex] since [itex]r(-a_{1})=0[/itex]. Therefore [itex]A_{r}[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]A[/itex].

This next part of the proof of the conjecture is what I am concerned about. Suppose [itex]m \in A_{r}[/itex] such that [itex]m \neq 0[/itex]. We know [itex]m[/itex] exists since for some [itex]y \in A, rsy=ny=0[/itex], so [itex]m=sy[/itex] is one possible choice, assuming [itex]sy \neq 0[/itex] for at least one [itex]y[/itex]. This is clearly the case or we can continue down by descent, replacing [itex]n[/itex] with [itex]s[/itex] in the problem. Now out of the possible choices for [itex]m[/itex], choose the smallest one. I think [itex]m[/itex] generates [itex]A_{r}[/itex], but I am not sure how to prove this. Maybe it isn't even a generator, so the entire method is flawed.

However, if it is, then the rest of the proof follows, since we can then show that since we would know [itex]m[/itex] generates [itex]A_{r}[/itex] and [itex]rm=0[/itex], so [itex]m[/itex] has period [itex]r[/itex]. It then follows that since [itex]A_{r} \cap A_{s} = {0}[/itex], and [itex]A_{r} * A_{s}[/itex] has order [itex]rs=n[/itex], [itex]A_{r}*A_{s}[/itex] must be surjective onto [itex]A[/itex] since [itex]A[/itex] also has order [itex]n[/itex], and [itex]A_{r}, A_{s}[/itex] were shown to be subgroups of [itex]A[/itex].

This is using the fact that the order of [itex]A[/itex] should be [itex]n[/itex] since [itex]nx=0[/itex] for all [itex]x \in A[/itex], which includes for its generators.

The joys of self studying algebra :D

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 24, 2012 #2
    Now that I think about I think I implicitly assumed that we are using the smallest possible exponent [itex]n[/itex], so things are awkward if we are not... for instance if [itex]A[/itex] were the group who elements you get by addition modulo 6. We could use [itex]n=6, n=12,...[/itex], and I assumed [itex]n=6[/itex] would be the choice. So that is another problem. Makes me think I am approaching the problem the wrong way.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  4. Sep 24, 2012 #3
    Nevermind, solved my own problem. Guess writing things up in a different form can be useful haha.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook