Proof: a^3 divides b^2 implies a divides b in Abstract Algebra.

In summary: The best way to start is to just try some simple examples. Make up some small examples which you know will work / not work.
stihl29
Let a, b be integers a,b>0 show that if a^3 | b^2 then a|b
(Consider the prime factorization of a and b)

I've tried setting up generic prime factorization of a and b but then don't get any where, I'm not very strong at this subject.

Any kind of hints / where to start would help a lot thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
You already have a perfectly good clue. How did you try to use prime factorization? Show the number of times any prime p divides a is less than or equal to the number of times p divides b.

Last edited:
two things, how should i show a prime p, divides a ex.
(p=2^e1 *3^e2 *5^e3...) = a*q?, q is an integer

And why do i need to show that it is less than or equal to the number of times p divides b?

stihl29 said:
two things, how should i show a prime p, divides a ex.
(p=2^e1 *3^e2 *5^e3...) = a*q?, q is an integer

And why do i need to show that it is less than or equal to the number of times p divides b?

Let's do the second one first. The only way a can divide b is if the number of times every prime p divides a is less or equal to the number of times p divides b. Think about the prime factorization of b/a. Don't you agree?

Dick said:
Let's do the second one first. The only way a can divide b is if the number of times every prime p divides a is less or equal to the number of times p divides b. Think about the prime factorization of b/a. Don't you agree?

yes i agree with what you are saying here.

stihl29 said:
yes i agree with what you are saying here.

Well, ok. So then if the largest power of p in a is p^ka and the largest power of p in b is p^kb, what must be true if a^3 divides b^2?

do you mean a^3 divides b^2? if so then, b would be larger than a?

stihl29 said:
do you mean a^3 divides b^2? if so then, b would be larger than a?

No, I'm asking you to compare the number of times p divides a^3 versus the number of times p divides b^2. The first must be less than or equal to the second, right? What does that tell you about ka and kb?

kb must be bigger than ka?

stihl29 said:
kb must be bigger than ka?

Yes. Why does a^3 divides b^2 tell you that? Please help me here. I can't just tell you what to write down. You have to understand it.

is it that there is some factor times b that makes a=b?

stihl29 said:
is it that there is some factor times b that makes a=b?

The best way to start is to just try some simple examples. Make up some small examples which you know will work / not work.

For example, see what happens for a=15 and b=225 (use prime factorization, as hinted).

Now try something like a=15 and b=75. Why doesn't this example work?

See if you can then come up with the general idea.

What is Abstract Algebra proof?

Abstract Algebra proof is a mathematical proof that uses the principles and concepts of abstract algebra to demonstrate the correctness of a mathematical statement or theorem.

Why is Abstract Algebra proof important?

Abstract Algebra proof is important because it allows us to understand the fundamental structures and patterns of mathematics, and provides a rigorous and logical way to prove mathematical statements.

What are the basic concepts of Abstract Algebra?

The basic concepts of Abstract Algebra include groups, rings, fields, vector spaces, and modules. These structures are used to define and study algebraic objects and their properties.

What are the steps to writing an Abstract Algebra proof?

The steps to writing an Abstract Algebra proof include clearly stating the theorem or statement to be proven, defining any necessary terms, using axioms and previously proven theorems to build logical arguments, and providing a conclusion that follows from the previous steps.

What are some tips for writing a successful Abstract Algebra proof?

Some tips for writing a successful Abstract Algebra proof include being familiar with the definitions and properties of the algebraic structures involved, carefully organizing and presenting your proof in a clear and logical manner, and checking for errors and inconsistencies throughout the proof.