1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Abstract Algebra proof

1. Jul 26, 2010 #1
    Let a, b be integers a,b>0 show that if a^3 | b^2 then a|b
    (Consider the prime factorization of a and b)

I've tried setting up generic prime factorization of a and b but then dont get any where, i'm not very strong at this subject.

Any kind of hints / where to start would help alot thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 26, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You already have a perfectly good clue. How did you try to use prime factorization? Show the number of times any prime p divides a is less than or equal to the number of times p divides b.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2010
  4. Jul 26, 2010 #3
    two things, how should i show a prime p, divides a ex.
    (p=2^e1 *3^e2 *5^e3....) = a*q?, q is an integer

And why do i need to show that it is less than or equal to the number of times p divides b?

5. Jul 26, 2010 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Let's do the second one first. The only way a can divide b is if the number of times every prime p divides a is less or equal to the number of times p divides b. Think about the prime factorization of b/a. Don't you agree?

6. Jul 26, 2010 #5

yes i agree with what you are saying here.

7. Jul 26, 2010 #6

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, ok. So then if the largest power of p in a is p^ka and the largest power of p in b is p^kb, what must be true if a^3 divides b^2?

8. Jul 26, 2010 #7
    do you mean a^3 divides b^2? if so then, b would be larger than a?

9. Jul 26, 2010 #8

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

No, I'm asking you to compare the number of times p divides a^3 versus the number of times p divides b^2. The first must be less than or equal to the second, right? What does that tell you about ka and kb?

10. Jul 26, 2010 #9
    kb must be bigger than ka?

11. Jul 26, 2010 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes. Why does a^3 divides b^2 tell you that? Please help me here. I can't just tell you what to write down. You have to understand it.

12. Jul 26, 2010 #11
    is it that there is some factor times b that makes a=b?

13. Jul 26, 2010 #12
    The best way to start is to just try some simple examples. Make up some small examples which you know will work / not work.

For example, see what happens for a=15 and b=225 (use prime factorization, as hinted).

Now try something like a=15 and b=75. Why doesn't this example work?

See if you can then come up with the general idea.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook