1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra Question: order, stabilizer, and general linear groups

1. Dec 7, 2011 #1
    The question asks:
    3) Let X be the set of 2-dimensional subspaces of F_{p}^{n}, where n >= 2.
    (a) Compute the order of X.
    (b) Compute the stabilizer S in GL_{n}(F_{p}) of the 2-dimensional subspace U = {(x1, x2, 0, . . . , 0) ε F_{p}^{n} | x1, x2 ε F_{p}}.
    (3) Compute the order of S.
    (4) Show that GL_{n}(F_{p}) acts transitively on X.

for 3.a I still need clarity on why this is the case, but the order of F_{p}^{n} is (p^{n}-1)(p^{n}-p) My reason for thinking this is because there are p^{n} possible vectors we then subtract one to eliminate the null case, we also must consider all multiples of the p^{n}-1 vectors, since it is a finite field there are (p^{n}-p) possible scalar combinations to multiply by, For the 2-D subspaces we must first consider the fact the order of F_{p}^{n} includes all multiples of 2-D spaces, so we must mod redundant multiples, the multiples are linear combinations of the 2-D space which is GL_{2}(F_{p}) so we must divide the order of F_{p}^{n} by the order of GL_{2}(F_{p}) i.e. |F_{p}^{n}| / |GL_{2}(F_{p})| = (p^{n}-1)(p^{n}-p) / (p^{2}-1)(p^{2}-p)
    I am not sure if my reasoning for dividing by the order of the 2-d special linear group is correct

3.b I am having a bit of difficulty with this one. GL_{n}(F_{p}) will be a nXn matrix with elements from the prime ordered field F with a non-zero determinant. The stabilizer will be the nXn matrices that whose product with U (defined above) produce U. so G*U = U . To do this we get a block matrix defined below:
    top left 2x2 matrix is the identity. after the first two rows are zero. after second two columns any element from F_{p} may be used.

| I [ any elements] |
    | 0 0 [any elements] |
    | . . [ ] |
    | . . [ ] |
    | 0 0[ ] |

the order of this matrix is the order of the (n-2)Xn matrix minus the cases that produce determinant zero
    I will wait to get too involved to see if what i've done till now is on the right path

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?