Proving the Center of a Group Generated by x and y is {e, x^n}

In summary, the task is to show that the center of the group G, defined as G=<x, y| x^{2n}=e, x^n=y^2, xy=yx^{-1}>, is equal to {e, x^n}. This is done by considering two cases: n=1 and n>1. For n=1, it is shown that if |x|=1 or 2, then x is in the center of G. For n>1, it is proven that the only elements in the center of G are {e, x^n}. This is done by breaking G into two subgroups and showing that x^n is the only element that commutes with all elements in G. Additionally
tyrannosaurus

Homework Statement

Let G=<x, y| x^{2n}=e, x^n=y^2, xy=yx^{-1}>. Show Z(G)={e, x^n}.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So I tried breaking this up into cases:
Case 1: If n=1. then |x|=1 or 2. If |x|=1, then x=e and x would obviously be in the center.
If |x|=2, then xy=yx (since (y^-1)xy=x^-1 and x^-1 = x when |x|=2). Thus G is abelain, and Z(G) would be {e,x,y^2} but since y^2=x, are Z(G) would be {e,x}.
Case 2. n>1
If n>1 and the order of x>2, then xx^(n)=x^(n+1)=x^(n)x and x^(n)y=y^2y=y^3=yy^2=yx^n. Since x^n commutes with the generates of G, x^n commutes with all of G. But G is not abelain, because if it were, y^-1xy=y^-1yx=x=x^-1, which is not true when |x|>2. Thus, the only elements in Z(G) are {e,x^n}

Physics news on Phys.org
How about this: since x^n=y^2, then G= <x> union y<x>. So G= {y^jx^i|0<=i<= n-1, 0<=j<=1}.
Is x^k an element of Z(G) for some k? So x^ky=yx^k, thus k=2 since x^2=y (do I need to say more?). Thus x^k is contained in the Z(G).
Is yx^k an element of Z(G) for some K? The answer is no, but how would I disprove it?

1. What is abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the properties and relationships between these structures, rather than specific numerical calculations.

2. How is abstract algebra different from traditional algebra?

Traditional algebra deals with the manipulation of numbers and variables, while abstract algebra deals with abstract concepts such as groups, rings, and fields. It also places a greater emphasis on the structure and properties of these concepts, rather than specific numerical solutions.

3. What are some real-world applications of abstract algebra?

Abstract algebra has many practical applications, such as in cryptography, coding theory, and computer science. It is also used in physics and chemistry to study symmetries and patterns.

4. What are the main branches of abstract algebra?

The main branches of abstract algebra are group theory, ring theory, and field theory. Other related branches include module theory, field extensions, and category theory.

5. Is abstract algebra difficult to learn?

Abstract algebra can be challenging to learn, as it involves abstract concepts and requires a strong understanding of mathematical reasoning and proofs. However, with dedication and practice, it is a rewarding subject to study and can provide a strong foundation for advanced mathematics.