1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra set theory

1. Feb 23, 2012 #1
    Let A, B and C be sets.
    Prove that if A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]C and A[itex]\cap[/itex]B=∅, then A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C.

My attempted solution:
    Assume A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]C and A[itex]\cap[/itex]B=∅.
    Then [itex]\vee[/itex]x (x[itex]\in[/itex]A[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex]c).

I'm not sure where to start and how to prove this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2012 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

....disregard earlier post...

4. Feb 23, 2012 #3

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex]. The goal is to show that this implies [itex]x \in C[/itex].

Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], it follows that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Can you exclude one of these possibilities?

5. Feb 23, 2012 #4
    Since A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B=∅, x[itex]\in[/itex]A or x[itex]\in[/itex]B.
    Thus x[itex]\in[/itex]A, x[itex]\notin[/itex]B and x[itex]\in[/itex]C.
    Therefor A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C.

Is that a good way to show how to exclude the possibility of x[itex]\in[/itex]B?

6. Feb 23, 2012 #5

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You have the right idea, but the wording is a little unclear. The following is not true: "Since A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B=∅, x[itex]\in[/itex]A or x[itex]\in[/itex]B."

How about the following:

Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex]. The goal is to show that this implies [itex]x \in C[/itex].

Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], it follows that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. However, [itex]x[/itex] cannot be in [itex]B[/itex], because if it were, then we would have [itex]x \in A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex], which is impossible. Therefore...

7. Feb 23, 2012 #6
    Ok I think I get it tell me if I worded this correctly:

Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex]
    Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], this means that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Consequently, [itex]x[/itex] cannot be in [itex]B[/itex], because if it were, then we would have [itex]x \in A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex], which is impossible. Therefore [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Thus [itex]x \in A[/itex] implies [itex]x \in C[/itex] so it follows that [itex]A \subseteq C[/itex]

8. Feb 23, 2012 #7

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks good to me.

9. Feb 23, 2012 #8
    ok thank you for your help

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook