Abstract Algebra set theory

• Thread starter iHeartof12
  • Start date
Let A, B and C be sets.
Prove that if A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]C and A[itex]\cap[/itex]B=∅, then A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C.

My attempted solution:
Assume A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]C and A[itex]\cap[/itex]B=∅.
Then [itex]\vee[/itex]x (x[itex]\in[/itex]A[itex]\rightarrow[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]x[itex]\in[/itex]c).

I'm not sure where to start and how to prove this. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Answers and Replies

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex]. The goal is to show that this implies [itex]x \in C[/itex].

Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], it follows that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Can you exclude one of these possibilities?

Since A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B=∅, x[itex]\in[/itex]A or x[itex]\in[/itex]B.
Thus x[itex]\in[/itex]A, x[itex]\notin[/itex]B and x[itex]\in[/itex]C.
Therefor A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C.

Is that a good way to show how to exclude the possibility of x[itex]\in[/itex]B?

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Since A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B=∅, x[itex]\in[/itex]A or x[itex]\in[/itex]B.
Thus x[itex]\in[/itex]A, x[itex]\notin[/itex]B and x[itex]\in[/itex]C.
Therefor A[itex]\subseteq[/itex]C.

You have the right idea, but the wording is a little unclear. The following is not true: "Since A[itex]\bigcap[/itex]B=∅, x[itex]\in[/itex]A or x[itex]\in[/itex]B."

How about the following:

Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex]. The goal is to show that this implies [itex]x \in C[/itex].

Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], it follows that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. However, [itex]x[/itex] cannot be in [itex]B[/itex], because if it were, then we would have [itex]x \in A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex], which is impossible. Therefore...

Ok I think I get it tell me if I worded this correctly:

Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex]
Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], this means that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Consequently, [itex]x[/itex] cannot be in [itex]B[/itex], because if it were, then we would have [itex]x \in A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex], which is impossible. Therefore [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Thus [itex]x \in A[/itex] implies [itex]x \in C[/itex] so it follows that [itex]A \subseteq C[/itex]

jbunniii
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
Ok I think I get it tell me if I worded this correctly:

Suppose [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex]
Since [itex]x \in A[/itex] and [itex]A \subset B \cup C[/itex], this means that [itex]x \in B[/itex] or [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Consequently, [itex]x[/itex] cannot be in [itex]B[/itex], because if it were, then we would have [itex]x \in A \cap B = \emptyset[/itex], which is impossible. Therefore [itex]x \in C[/itex]. Thus [itex]x \in A[/itex] implies [itex]x \in C[/itex] so it follows that [itex]A \subseteq C[/itex]

Looks good to me.

ok thank you for your help