1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra, Sets Proof

1. Jan 25, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Question 1. Let U be a universal set, A and B two subsets of U.
    (1) Show that
    B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c).
    (2) A = B if and only if there exists a subset X of U such that A ∪ X = B ∪ X and X\A^c = X\B^c.

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt at a solution is as follows:

Part 1: Showing B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c)

(A∪B)∩(A∪A^c)
    (A∪B)∩([itex]\bigcup[/itex])

Since A∪B are both in universe, it serves that B ⊆ A ∪ (B ∩ A^c).

Part 2
    A = B if and only if there exists a subset X of U such that A ∪ X = B ∪ X and X\A^c = X\B^c.

So I claimed double inclusion proof here, letting X[itex]\in[/itex]A

Case 1: X[itex]\in[/itex]X

X[itex]\in[/itex]A[itex]\cup[/itex]X[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]B[itex]\cup[/itex]X[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]B

Case 2: X[itex]\notin[/itex]X[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]X\A^c[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]X\B^c[itex]\Rightarrow[/itex]X[itex]\in[/itex]X or X[itex]\in[/itex]B^c but X[itex]\notin[/itex]X so X[itex]\in[/itex]B

So I think the problem with this question is that I am not fully understanding the concept of the property known as the difference.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 25, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I don't understand your proof. May I suggest something along these lines: if [itex]b \in B[/itex], and [itex]b \not\in A[/itex], then [itex]b \in B \cap A^c[/itex]. Therefore...
    You may find it helpful to use the following identity: [itex]A \setminus B = A \cap B^c[/itex] for any sets [itex]A, B \subset U[/itex].

4. Jan 25, 2013 #3

When A and B in this case are already compliments, that makes no difference? I can still switch using that identity?

5. Jan 25, 2013 #4

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, the identity is valid in all cases. If you have something like [itex]X \setminus A^c[/itex] then that equals [itex]X \cap(A^c)^c[/itex] = [itex]X \cap A[/itex].

6. Jan 26, 2013 #5
    Hi jbunni, could you check out my second attempt at question part 1:

So B⊆A∪(B∩A^c)

To show this, we can say that when x∈B, implies there exists an x∈A∪(B∩A^c)

We will let x∈B,

Case 1: x∈ A

x∈ A--->x∈ A or x∈(B∩A^c). So clearly, x∈A.

Case 2: x∉A

x∈A or x∈(B∩A^c). We have declared x∉A, so x∈B and x∈A^c. Now we note that X∈A^c is = to X∉A.

Thus proving that B⊆A∪(B∩A^c)

7. Jan 26, 2013 #6

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

I think you have the right idea, but I would word it somewhat differently. See if this sounds cleaner to you:

Let [itex]x \in B[/itex]. We consider two cases:

Case 1: [itex]x \in A[/itex]. In this case [itex]x \in A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex] because [itex]A \subset A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex].

Case 2: [itex]x \not\in A[/itex]. Then [itex]x \in (B \cap A^c)[/itex]. Therefore [itex]x \in A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex], because [itex](B \cap A^c) \subset A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex]

In both cases, we have established that [itex]x \in B[/itex] implies [itex]x \in A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex]. This shows that [itex]B \subset A \cup (B \cap A^c)[/itex].

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook