1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra - Smallest subgroup of GL(n,R)

1. Feb 14, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let A = [itex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/itex]

Let B = [itex]\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 2 \\ 0 & -1 \end{array} \right][/itex]

Find the smallest subgroup G of GL(n,R) that contains [itex]A[/itex] and [itex]B[/itex]. Also, find the smallest subgroup H of G that contains the matrices AB and BA.

2. Relevant equations

GL(n,R) is the group of all n x n invertible matrices

Homomorphism:

[itex]f(a*b) = f(a) * f(b)[/itex] for some operation [itex]*[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

I need a hint to start (don't solve the whole thing, please just help me start it).

So far, I can see that [itex]A=[/itex][itex]A^{-1}[/itex] and [itex]B=[/itex][itex]B^{-1}[/itex]

Also, for the second part [itex]AB\neq BA[/itex] since [itex]AB=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/itex] and [itex]BA=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right][/itex], also, [itex]\left(AB\right)^{-1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & -1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right]=BA[/itex], and, [itex]\left(BA\right)^{-1}=\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1 & 1 \\ 0 & 1 \end{array} \right]=AB[/itex]

To show that something is a subgroup, I need to show that it is closed under the operation (matrix multiplication in the second part), inverses, contains the identity element, and has the homomorphism property

Can I define an operation that just gives the inverse of the matrix? (meaning I think the set {I, A, B} under that operation would be the smallest subgroup), and a similar group can be taken for the second part, just having it contain {I, AB, BA}.

Or, would the following work: The set {I, A, B, AB, BA} under matrix multiplication?
    with this:
    For any two elements, say [itex]X[/itex] and [itex]Y[/itex] of the set, [itex]X*Y[/itex] is in the set as well (given what I've shown above).

[itex]A*(B*BA)=(A*B)*BA[/itex], and this seems to work for all such combinations, so associativity holds.

Inverses hold given what I've shown above, and the identity is there by definition.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2012
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?
Draft saved Draft deleted