How Do Units and Zero Divisors in Rings Relate?

In summary, in a ring with a unit and no zero divisors, it is necessary to prove both left and right cancellation. This is because in order for a*b to be a unit, a and b must also be units. By using cancellation and multiplying both sides by appropriate elements, it can be shown that a and b are indeed units. The intuitive connection between a lack of zero divisors and the use of cancellation is also important to note.
rookandpawn

Homework Statement

From An Introduction to Abstract Algebra by T. Hungerford
Section 3.2 #29

Let R be a ring with identity and no zero divisors.
If ab is a unit in R prove that a and b are units.

Homework Equations

c is a unit in R if and only if there exists an element x in R s.t. cx=xc=1
where 1 is the identity element of R.

c is a zero divisor in R if and only if 1)c is not equal to 0 and 2)there exists
and element d in R s.t. either cd=0 or dc=0.

The Attempt at a Solution

Any help please? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
In a ring with unit and no zero divisors first prove that you have both left and right cancellation. Then since a*b is a unit you have a d such that (ab)d=d(ab)=1. So a(bd)=1. Now all you need to show is (bd)a=1. Time to multiply both sides by things and use your cancellation properties.

Dick said:
In a ring with unit and no zero divisors first prove that you have both left and right cancellation..

for the left cancellation case, if a is nonzero and ab = ac then ab - ac = 0
hence a(b-c) = 0, since there are no zero divisors, then b-c = 0 which
implies b = c, hence ab = ac -> b = c -> left cancellation

is this correct?

Then since a*b is a unit you have a d such that (ab)d=d(ab)=1. So a(bd)=1. Now all you need to show is (bd)a=1. Time to multiply both sides by things asnd use your cancellation properties.

I imagine that after I have proven that I have left and right cancellation
that it goes along these lines:

Starting off: (ab)d = 1

a(bd) = 1
a(bd)a = 1*a "right" multiplying both sides by a
a(bd)a = a*1 commute the identity.
(bd)a = 1 left cancellation.

which goes to show that a is a unit.

and similarly d(ab) = 1

(da)b = 1
b(da)b = b*1 "left" multiplication both sides by b
b(da)b = 1*b commute the identity is always okay
b(da) = 1 by right cancellation

which shows that b is a unit

is this the correct way?

Very nice. But the real test is do you believe the proof?

Thank you Dick for your help. I could not develop on my own the relevance that having no zero divisors had. WHen I worked the question before I posted for help, I encountered a need to use cancellation, yet since I hadn't proven I could use cancellation, I felt I was going in the wrong direction. I didn't know that I should have kept going in that direction, and proven cancellation.

THe lesson I learned here, is the intuitive connection between a lack of zero divisors implies allowable use of cancellation.

Exactly. You're quite welcome.

1. What is Abstract Algebra?

Abstract Algebra is a branch of mathematics that studies algebraic structures, such as groups, rings, and fields. It focuses on the abstract properties and relationships between mathematical objects, rather than specific numerical solutions.

2. How is Abstract Algebra used in real life?

Abstract Algebra has many practical applications in fields such as cryptography, coding theory, computer science, and physics. It is also used in engineering, economics, and statistics to model real-world problems and systems.

3. What are the main topics covered in Abstract Algebra?

The main topics in Abstract Algebra include group theory, ring theory, field theory, and linear algebra. Other topics may also be covered, such as polynomial rings, modules, and Galois theory.

4. What are some common challenges in learning Abstract Algebra?

Some common challenges in learning Abstract Algebra include understanding abstract concepts and proofs, applying algebraic structures to real-world problems, and building a strong foundation in algebraic skills.

5. How can I improve my understanding of Abstract Algebra?

Practicing regularly, seeking help from a tutor or study group, and actively engaging with the material can improve your understanding of Abstract Algebra. It may also be helpful to review basic algebraic concepts and work on building a solid foundation in algebraic skills.