1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Algebra

1. Mar 22, 2005 #1
    Question 1
    Determine the quotient group [tex](\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/\langle(1,2)\rangle[/tex]

[tex]\langle(1,2)\rangle[/tex] is a cyclic subgroup [tex]H[/tex] of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] generated by [tex](1,2)[/tex]. Thus

Since [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] has 2.4 = 8 elements, and [tex]H[/tex] has 2 elements, all cosets of [tex]H[/tex] must have 2 elements, and [tex](\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/H[/tex] must have order 4.

Possible abelian groups of order 4 are

But I dont know how to work out which one is isomorphic to [tex](\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/\langle(1,2)\rangle[/tex]
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2005 #2
    Which of [tex] \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2[/tex], [tex] \mathbb{Z}_1 \times \mathbb{Z}_4[/tex], and [tex](\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4)/H[/tex] are cyclic?
  4. Mar 22, 2005 #3
    I think [tex]\mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] is cyclic because it is generated by [tex]a^n[/tex] for all [tex]n=0,1,\dots[/tex] where [tex]a=(1,2)[/tex] and [tex]n = 2[/tex]
  5. Mar 22, 2005 #4
    Well, as I posted, you really mean [itex]\mathbb{Z}_1 \times \mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] (or equivalently just [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex]), since [itex]\mathbb{Z} \times \mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] doesn't have order 4 at all (not even finite order!).

But it is indeed cyclic (generated by [itex](0, 1)[/itex] or just [itex]1[/itex] if you choose the [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex] variety~).

Is [itex](\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4)/H[/itex] cyclic?
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2005
  6. Mar 22, 2005 #5
    Yes, it is cyclic. Isn't there a theorem that says a quotient group of cyclic group is cyclic?

So wouldn't [tex]\mathbb{Z}\times\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] be the answer? Or am I missing something?
  7. Mar 22, 2005 #6
    I don't remember such a theorem. Let's just write down the elements of [itex](\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4)/H[/tex]. This set is just

[tex] \{ (1, 0) + H, \; (1, 1) + H, \; (0, 1) + H, \; (0, 0) + H \}[/tex].

Does it have a generator? Remember the group is abelian and [itex] H + H = H[/itex].

Edit: Actually, there may be. I really don't remember! :smile: Anyways, in this case the group in question is indeed cyclic (and thus isomorphic to [itex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/itex]).
  8. Mar 22, 2005 #7
    [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4 = \{(0,0),(0,1),(0,2),(0,3),(1,0),(1,1),(1,2),(1,3)\}[/tex]

But this can be collapsed into

[tex]\mathbb{Z}_4 = \{(0,0),(0,1),(0,2),(0,3)\} = \mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex]

So then

[tex](\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/H = \{(0,0)+H,(0,1)+H,(0,2)+H,(0,3)+H\}[/tex]

where [tex]H=\langle(1,2)\rangle[/tex]

and its generator is [tex](1,2)[/tex]
  9. Mar 22, 2005 #8
    I think the theorem you're thinking of is that if [itex]G[/itex] is cyclic then every quotient group [itex]G/H[/itex] is cyclic. In our case we can't use that (since [itex] H[/itex] is cyclic, not [itex]\mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_4[/itex]). There's no theorem the way we need it :frown:
  10. Mar 22, 2005 #9
    I wouldn't include the line saying "can be collapsed into" (what does that mean?). And I think in your second TeX line (the one I think you should remove, because the first equality isn't true~) you meant [itex] = \mathbb{Z}_1 \times \mathbb{Z}_4[/itex], not [itex] = \mathbb{Z}_2 \times \mathbb{Z}_2[/itex]!

The rest looks good though~
  11. Mar 22, 2005 #10
    Ok, I fixed it up a bit.

Let me get this straight. The quotient group under investigation is

Here [tex]\langle(1,2)\rangle[/tex] is the cyclic subgroup [tex]H[/tex] of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] generated by [tex](1,2)[/tex]. Thus

[tex]H = \{(0,0),(1,2)\}[/tex]

Since [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\math{Z}_4[/tex] has 8 elements and [tex]H[/tex] has 2 elements, all cosets of [tex]H[/tex] must have 4 elements, and [tex](\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/H[/tex].

In additive notation, the cosets are

[tex]H = \{(0,0)+H,(0,1)+H,(0,2)+H,(0,3)+H\}[/tex]

Since we can compute by choosing representatives [tex](0,0),(0,1),(0,2),(0,3)[/tex] it is clear that [tex](\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4)/H[/tex] is isomorphic to [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex]

Note that this is what we would expect, since in a factor modulo [tex]H[/tex], everything in [tex]H[/tex] becomes the identity element; that is we are essentially setting everthing in [tex]H[/tex] to zero. Thus the whole factor [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex] of [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2\times\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex] is collapsed, leaving just the second factor [tex]\mathbb{Z}_4[/tex].
  12. Mar 22, 2005 #11
    looks good :smile:
  13. Mar 22, 2005 #12
    Question 2

Show that ifa group [tex]G[/tex] has exactly one subgroup [tex]H[/tex] of given order, then this subgroup must be normal.

I figured that since every group has at least two subgroups: the whole group itself (the improper subgroup) [tex]G[/tex] and the trivial subgroup [tex]\{e\}[/tex].

If a group [tex]G[/tex] has exactly one subgroup then [tex]G = \{e\}[/tex] and the group in question is actually the trivial group. This is the only way that I can see that a group can have exactly one subgroup - if it is the trivial group.

So if [tex]G[/tex] is the trivial group, then it consists of only one element, namely the identity. The group consisting of one element, [tex]e[/tex] is commutative. ie [tex]e*a=a*e[/tex] where [tex]a \in G[/tex]. Obviously [tex]a=e[/tex] if [tex]G[/tex] has only one element.

Hence [tex]G[/tex] is abelian. And all subgroups of abelian groups are normal.

A subgroup is normal if its left and right cosets coincide. That is, [tex]gH=Hg \, \forall \, g \in G[/tex]. Since [tex]g=e[/tex] then we have [tex]eH=He[/tex] which is trivial because [tex]G[/tex] is abelian.

Therefore the subgroup [tex]H[/tex] of [tex]G[/tex] is normal.
  14. Mar 22, 2005 #13
    You are misinterpreting the question (at least the way I read it). It is not saying that [itex]G[/itex] has only one subgroup. It says that [itex]G[/itex] has only one subgroup [itex]H[/itex] of a particular order, say [itex]n[/itex], ie. if [itex] J \leq G[/itex] and [itex] |J| = n[/itex] then [itex]J = H[/itex].
  15. Mar 22, 2005 #14
    Ok, lets assume that you read the question correctly (which is likely). Then I have to show that the subgroup is normal given that it is the only subgroup with a particular order [tex]n[/tex].

This means that [tex]G[/tex] has only one subgroup with [tex]n[/tex] elements, all other subgroups have some other order.

For a subgroup of a group to be normal, then the following are equivalent
    [tex]ghg^{-1} \in H \, \forall \, g\in G \mbox{and} h\in H[/tex]
    [tex]gHg^{-1} = H \, \forall \, g\in G[/tex]
    [tex]gH = Hg \, \forall g\in G[/tex]

But I don't know how to start. That is, none of the conditions for a subgroup to be normal, involve the order of the subgroup.

Any hints?
  16. Mar 23, 2005 #15
    N normal <==> NaNb = Nab for a, b not in subgroup N
  17. Mar 24, 2005 #16
    Sorry I haven't replied in a while.

Here's a hint:

Recall that [itex]H[/itex] normal in [itex]G[/itex] if and only if [itex]gHg^{-1} = H \mbox{ for every } g \ \mbox{in} \ G[/itex]. Assume [itex]H[/itex] isn't normal. Then there is some [itex]g[/itex] in [itex]G[/itex] such that [itex]gHg^{-1} \neq H[/itex]. For this [itex]g[/itex], consider the set [itex]gHg^{-1}[/itex] (Hint: Try to prove that it is a subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] of the same order as [itex]H[/itex], to get a contradiction).
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  18. Mar 24, 2005 #17
    Figured I'd put this back at the top in case you still need it, since you're online right now~
  19. Mar 24, 2005 #18
    The condition for [tex]H[/tex] being normal is

[tex]ghg^{-1} \in H\quad \forall g \in G,\, \forall h \in H[/tex]

Assume that [tex]H[/tex] isn't normal (proof by contradiction)

Then [tex]\exists \, k \in G[/tex] such that

[tex]khk^{-1} \notin H \quad \forall h \in H[/tex]

Now consider the set

[tex]A = \{khk^{-1} | \, \forall h \in H\}[/tex]

We now show that this is a subgroup of [tex]G[/tex] and that it has the same order as [tex]H[/tex].

For [tex]h_1,h_2 \in H, \, \exists\, kh_1k^{-1},\, kh_2k^{-1} \in A[/tex] by definition. Now,

[tex](kh_1k^{-1})(kh_2k^{-1}) = (kh_1)(k^{-1}k)(h_2k^{-1})[/tex]
    [tex]= kh_1(e)h_2k^{-1}[/tex]
    [tex]= k(h_1h_2)k^{-1}[/tex]

But [tex]h_1,h_2 \in H[/tex] as [tex]H[/tex] is a subgroup by assumption.

Hence [tex]kh_1,h_2k^{-1} \in A[/tex] which implies that [tex]A[/tex] is a subgroup of [tex]G[/tex]

Now so far we have been using the fact that [tex]H[/tex] is not normal. And from this we have got a subgroup [tex]A[/tex]. But it is obvious that for each [tex]h \in H[/tex] we can make an [tex]a \in A[/tex] by

[tex]kh_1k^{-1} = kh_2k^{-1} \Leftrightarrow h_1 = h_2[/tex]

the left and right cancellation laws. Hence [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] have the same order. Alternatively I think I could have proven this by setting a bijection. Anyway, [tex]H[/tex] and [tex]A[/tex] having the same order is a contradiction since [tex]H[/tex] is the only subgroup with a given order. Hence [tex]H[/tex] MUST be normal.
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2005
  20. Mar 24, 2005 #19
    Everything looks great, except for one detail:

You cannot assume [itex] \exists k \in G[/itex] such that

[tex]khk^{-1} \notin H \; \forall h \in H[/tex].

This is too strong.

All you can assume is

[itex] \exists k \in G[/itex] such that

[tex]\{ khk^{-1} | h \in H \} \neq \{ h \in H\}[/tex]

there is a subtle difference, but it does not affect the rest of the proof. :smile:

Also, you must show that [itex] e \in A[/itex], but this is trivial. Also, that [itex] x \in A \Longrightarrow x^{-1} \in A[/itex] (also easy).

You are quite correct that the trivial bijection (and, in fact, isomorphism)

[tex] f : H \longrightarrow A[/tex]
    [tex] \forall \ h \in H, \ f(h) = khk^{-1}[/tex]

would also have worked nicely :smile:
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2005
  21. Mar 25, 2005 #20
    Thanks Data for your input. I'd have to say, you have a knack for mentoring.

Here is another question I have been working on.

Let [tex]\textsc{Q}[/tex] be the subgroup of [tex]GL(2,\mathbb{C})[/tex] generated by

[tex]\left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & 1 \\ -1 & 0 \\ \end{array}\right) \quad \mbox{and} \quad \left(\begin{array}{cc} 0 & i \\ i & 0 \\ \end{array}\right)[/tex]

1. Show that [tex]\textsc{Q}[/tex] is a nonabelian group of order 8.
    2. Is [tex]\textsc{Q}[/tex] isomorphic to the dihedral group [tex]\mathcal{D}_4[/tex]?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?