Solutions to Hungerford's "Abstract Algebra" 3rd Ed.

In summary: Checking the solution in the manual after you have done your best work is a good idea, but it's not the only good idea. I agree, I think the pure bottom-up approach is over-emphasized. Checking the solution in the manual after you have done your best work is a good idea, but it's not the only good idea.
Physics2341313
I'm taking an abstract algebra course that uses Hungerford's "An Introduction to Abstract Algebra" 3rd Ed. And while I feel like I'm following the material sufficiently and can do most of the proofs it's hard to learn and practice the material without a solutions guide. How am I supposed to know the work I've practiced outside of class is correct, or if I have misunderstood a fundamental concept without a way to check my work?

I understand that as I approach subjects that are intrinsically more difficult it will require more time to understand the concepts. I'm taking abstract and real analysis simultaneously, on top of physics and cs courses, so staring at a page for hours on end isn't really a viable solution. Whereas simply looking at the solution to the problem could show me the error in my understanding in a matter of minutes.

That being said... is there a solutions manual / solutions anywhere? I've been scraping the web and have come up empty handed. I can't even find an instructor's solutions manual.

Physics news on Phys.org
Using a solution manual is cheating your way to a solution. It will get you a very nice and well-crafted solution. But it won't teach you at all about the process it takes you to get that solution. It is that process that is most important, not the eventual solutions to the problems.
Trust me, if you're going to keep relying on solution manuals, it will hit you in the face eventually.. hard.

Staring at a page for hours is a very decent strategy. I stare at pages for several hours too before it clicks. If you can't afford the time it takes you to get a "click", then you shouldn't be taking abstract algebra.

Still, I think there is something to be said for looking at just the first few solutions , reverse engineering them, to get a feel for how things are done. As long as you use this just as intro help and not your usual approach, I thinking it could be helpful.

WWGD said:
Still, I think there is something to be said for looking at just the first few solutions , reverse engineering them, to get a feel for how things are done. As long as you use this just as intro help and not your usual approach, I thinking it could be helpful.
Just for using solution manuals or answer keys in general,
Do as much as you can on each exercise and only check the solution in the manual AFTER you have done your best work.

symbolipoint said:
Just for using solution manuals or answer keys in general,
Do as much as you can on each exercise and only check the solution in the manual AFTER you have done your best work.

I agree, I think the pure bottom-up approach is over-emphasized.

1. What is the purpose of "Solutions to Hungerford's "Abstract Algebra" 3rd Ed."?

The purpose of this book is to provide solutions and explanations for the exercises found in the third edition of Thomas Hungerford's "Abstract Algebra" textbook. It is intended to aid students in their understanding and mastery of abstract algebra concepts and techniques.

2. Is this book suitable for all levels of students?

This book is primarily aimed at advanced undergraduate and graduate students who are studying abstract algebra. However, it can also be a useful resource for anyone interested in learning more about the subject.

3. How does this book differ from other solution manuals for "Abstract Algebra"?

Unlike many other solution manuals, this book contains detailed and rigorous explanations for each exercise, rather than just providing answers. It also includes extra exercises and examples to further enhance the reader's understanding of the material.

4. Can this book be used as a standalone resource?

While this book is meant to supplement Hungerford's "Abstract Algebra" textbook, it can also be used as a standalone resource for those looking for extra practice and explanations in abstract algebra.

5. Who is the author of "Solutions to Hungerford's "Abstract Algebra" 3rd Ed."?

The author of this book is Dr. David S. Dummit, a professor of mathematics at the University of Vermont. He has also co-authored several other mathematics textbooks and has years of experience teaching abstract algebra.