Understanding Voltage with Abstract Confusion

In summary: The book, "Art of Electronics" by Horowitz is a great introductory text to the concept of voltage. They define voltage as the difference in potential between two points. This potential difference is created by the electric field and is affected by the current flowing through the circuit. Voltage is also described as being like two sides of a football game. One side wants to destroy the other, and one side has more electrons than the other side. Voltage is a difficult concept to explain, but with the help of a diagram it can be easier to understand.
Mr_Bojingles
I just bought the book Art of Electronics that berkman recommended and I just started reading it. I already know what voltage is but if I didn't I would have made no sense of their explanation.

They say "The voltage between two points is the cost in energy (work done) required to move a unit of positive charge from the more negative point (lower potential) to the more positive point (higher potential).

Why do they have to give such a complicated explanation for such a simple concept? If I was to explain voltage I'd say "Voltage between two points is the build up of charge (electrons) at one point (negative terminal) which causes current to flow to the other point (electron deficient positive terminal).

Secondly they say required to move a "positive" unit of charge. Electrons are negative units of charge aren't they? Whats a positive unit of charge?? Protons? A lack of electrons?

I'm studying a few different scientific fields at the moment and I have to say electronics theory is the most frustrating and complicated.

Engineering news on Phys.org
Is this the Horowitz book? I think it's a great introductory text.

I think the definition given in the book is quite ok, and with the help of a diagram I would be happy if I was learning voltage concepts with that principle.
(Voltage as a 'height' or as an analog to gravitation potential)

I guess we all learn concepts in different ways, so there's no perfect way to teach this stuff.

With regards to this Positive charge stuff, it's rather unfortunate but "conventional" current was actually defined a long time ago to be the flow of positive charge.
From my understanding the actual 'charge carrier' can be different things in different materials.. electrons (in solids), ions (ionic solutions), protons (well it's a hydrogen ion)..

After reading your question, think of voltage as being the difference between a hot pipe and a cold pipe. The hotter the pipe the more chance you will get burned.

This reply regarding the body of your thread. Think of voltage as being two sides of a football game. One side wants to destroy then other. One side has more electrons than the other side and due to the state police (insulator) they do not fight (short) and thus the potential difference.

The potential difference between two points is found by integrating the electric field over the distance between these two points. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Voltage"

Positive current is defined for moving positive charge in the direction of a positive field, so since electrons are negatively charged, the current would be in the oposite direction of the actual electron flow.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Art of Electronics is the best introductory book that I've found so far. You made a good choice.

Mr_Bojingles said:
Why do they have to give such a complicated explanation for such a simple concept? If I was to explain voltage I'd say "Voltage between two points is the build up of charge (electrons) at one point (negative terminal) which causes current to flow to the other point (electron deficient positive terminal).

The concept of voltage is hard to describe in a way that is both accurate and easy to understand. I don't like the definition you present for one reason. You say, "Voltage ... causes current to flow ..." -- that's not quite right. Voltage is a potential, if there is no conductive path it remains only a potential and does not cause current to flow.

Regarding current direction -- direction is ambiguous because "Ben Franklin Current" is defined as flowing from positive potential to negative potential, however, we know now that electron flow is from the negative potential to positive potential.

The discrepancy makes sense if you look at the early studies of electricity when they described things in terms they already understood. Electricity was thought to be a fluid, and what we now call voltage was described as high or low pressures of electrical fluid. In terms of fluid, it would obviously 'flow' from high pressure to low pressure.

I should have said "given a conductive path, causes current to flow to the positive terminal". I didn't really think of it like that asynchro. The fact that the potential difference is there regardless of whether current is flowing. Like in a battery. The potential different exists between both terminals but the electrons can't get to the positive terminal unless you connect a wire from the anode to the cathode.

I always wondered what stops the electrons from the anode from reaching the cathode by traveling inside the battery rather than outside. Is it just the chemical process or is there an insulator between them inside the cell?

Yeah I wish they would fix the current concept. Just because its convention doesn't mean its accurate so they should change it. When I was first learning about charge of electrons, protons, anions, cations, anodes and cathodes the conventional idea of current flow added my confusion.

Last edited:
There's a lot of things we would like to change as with time we find things are different to what we first thought.
Have a look at the definition for the word 'atom' (greek root) :smile:

1. What is voltage and how is it measured?

Voltage is the force or potential difference that drives electric current. It is measured in volts (V) using a voltmeter.

2. How does voltage affect the flow of electricity?

Voltage determines the rate at which electricity flows through a circuit. A higher voltage means a greater flow of electricity, while a lower voltage means a slower flow.

3. What is the relationship between voltage and resistance?

According to Ohm's Law, voltage is directly proportional to resistance. This means that as voltage increases, resistance also increases.

4. How does voltage differ from current and power?

Voltage is the force that drives current, while current is the actual flow of electricity. Power, on the other hand, is the rate at which energy is consumed by the electrical circuit.

5. What are some common sources of voltage?

Some common sources of voltage include batteries, power plants, and generators. Electrical outlets also provide a constant source of voltage for household appliances.