Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Courses

1. Aug 9, 2006 #1
    In all the abstract courses which i have taken i haven't done well......

like initially it was epsilon-delta in the real analysis...

then came group theory.....

and now Automata theory....

somehow i feel i won't be able to do well in this course...i don't know but my mind is not able to appreciate the beauty of abstractness.....
    but i have seen in my class that class is divided in two groups...one who do extremely well in this course and one who don't even have idea what's going on........so these kind of courses are really peculiar or weird!!

But i wanna hear guys who here are able to crack up such courses...

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 9, 2006 #2
    In my grade 12 geometry and discrete mathematics course we delved into group and set theory for the last month. (It was HL IB math, not standard high school course) and although I had done really well in the course up to this point, group and set theory just escaped me. After hours of studying for the exam I think I was starting to understand maybe half of it.

On the other hand, I also took General and (some) special relativity as part of my Grade 12 Physics course, and although it too is (somewhat) abstract, it was my best unit of the year in Physics, and also the most interesting imo.

4. Aug 9, 2006 #3
    i too did very well in Set Theory and physics courses which i took in my highschool and also in institute but these mentioned courses really irritated me...

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?