1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Geometry Proof

1. Aug 29, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let {S1,L1} and {S2,L2} be abstract geomettries. If S=S1 ^ S2 and L=L1 ^ L2 prove that {S,L} is an abstract geometry ( where ^ = intersection)

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Let {S1,L1} and {S2,L2} be abstract geometries. Assume that S=S1 ^ S2. Let x belong to S therfore by definiton of an intersection x belongs to S1 and x belongs to S2. Also assume that L=L1 ^ L2. Let y belong to L therefore by defintion of an intersection y belongs to L1 and y belongs to L2. Since {S1,L1} and {S2,L2} are abstract geometries {S,L} must also be an abstract geometry.

Now that I have typed all that I am not even sure that what I was trying to prove was possible. Am I even in the right ball park?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 29, 2009 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I'm not familiar with the term "abstract geometry" -- could you define it?

4. Aug 30, 2009 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Also, please understand that notation is not always universal. What is the definition of "abstract geometry", and what are S and L here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook