1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract help!

1. Sep 23, 2010 #1
    Homework problem stated this:

Let S={0,1,2,3,4,5,6}
    let * be defined by x*y=max(x-y,0)

is it commutative, associative, does it have an identity and inverse? help please!

I put that yes it is commutative and yes for associative, but i'm not to sure they are right becuase the 6 is throwing me off

for identity i got x*e=x and e*x=x
    x+e=x e+x=x
    e=0 e=0
    so yes it has and identity element of zeero and then i pluged it into x*b=e and b (inverse) came out to be equal to x but idk what to do with the 6!

please help!

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 23, 2010 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't think you are really dealing with the definition of '*' very well. Do an exercise first. What is 3*2 and what is 2*3? Use the definition of '*'.

4. Sep 23, 2010 #3
    ohsorry! i meant x*y=min(x+y,6)

5. Sep 23, 2010 #4
    ohsorry! i meant x*y=min(x+y,6)

6. Sep 23, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, that makes a difference. But now I'm not sure what part is actually confusing you. Sure, 0 is AN identity. As for inverses, what would be the inverse of 1?

7. Sep 23, 2010 #6
    whats confusing me is the 6 in min(x+y , 6). And im not sure how to find the inverse property using the identity element

were the first 3 right?

8. Sep 23, 2010 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes, I think the first three are right. I don't see why the '6' is confusing you. min(x+y,6) is the minimum of the number x+y and the number 6. Yes, the identity is 0. So if x is an inverse of 1 then it must satisfy x*1=0. Is there such an x?

9. Sep 23, 2010 #8
    umm well x times 0 equals 0 but if we are saying x*1 as the operation then the only one after plugging it into x+y=0 is -1

i dont know if that made sense

10. Sep 23, 2010 #9

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It makes sense, but -1 isn't in S={0,1,2,3,4,5,6}. If there is an inverse, you need it to be a member of S.

11. Sep 23, 2010 #10
    so there is no inverse since it does not exist in the S!

12. Sep 23, 2010 #11

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Exactly.

13. Sep 23, 2010 #12
    Thank you soooo much for your help and time!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook