1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Math, Tautology

1. Aug 30, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find a statement for , S, equibalten to ~(P v Q) and show that it is logically equivalent by construction the truth table for "S if and only if ~(P v Q)" and showing that this statement form is a tautology.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

My statment is

S: It is not Monday or it is not tuesday.

I'm not sure exactly how to set up the truth table. What would be my Column labels for S <-> ~(P v Q). Do in include the S or the <-> in the table.
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 30, 2010 #2
    Note: ~(P v Q) is equivalent to (~P and ~Q). So your sample statement S does not work.
  4. Aug 30, 2010 #3
    right right right

S:It is not monday and it is not munday ... ~(PvQ) <->(~P ^ ~Q) which are equil and because they are equal they will be a tautology.

is it correct to say they are a tautology becasue it will be all truths in the truth table which is because ~(PvQ) and (~P ^ ~Q) have equal truths (F,F,F,T) and then because they are the same (F,F,F,T) they are then all truths for ~(PvQ) <->(~P ^ ~Q) column
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook