1. PF Contest - Win "Conquering the Physics GRE" book! Click Here to Enter
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract->p-sylow groups

1. Dec 21, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let P be a p-sylow sbgrp of a finite group G.
    N(P) will be the normalizer of P in G. The quotient group N(P)/P is cyclic from order n.

PROVE that there is an element a in N(P) from order n and that every element such as a represnts a generator of the quotient group N(P)/P

2. Relevant equations
    3. The attempt at a solution

Welll.... there is mP in N(P)/P such as (mP)^n = P -> m^n*P=P -> m^n = 1 ...
    If m has order that is less the n, we'll get a contradiction to the fact that mP is from order n.
    It's pretty obvious that every element of this kind is a generator of this group...But I realy feel I'm missing something... It's a 20 points question and the answer will take me 2 lines...

Where is my mistake?

TNX in advance
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2009 #2
    You cannot deduce that [tex]m^n = 1[/tex] from [tex]m^n P = P[/tex]; that tells you only that [tex]m^n \in P[/tex]. However, there is a simple way to produce the element of order [tex]n[/tex] you need, using [tex]m^n[/tex].
  4. Dec 21, 2009 #3
    Hmmmm...Yep, you're right...
    So we have m^n is in P... We need to produce an element k of order n that is in N(P)... Hmmmm we have m^n*P=P, and m^n is in P, m is in N(P). We know something more about this m? We know nothing about its order but we know that mP=Pm, which means m^n*P=P*m^n, and it's still gives us nothing...

Can you please give more detailed directions?
    I'll appreciate any kind of further help...

TNX a lot
  5. Dec 21, 2009 #4
    Wait a sec! We know that m^n is in P and that P has order p^r for some r in N...So m^n must have an order that is a power of p, say p^k... so we know that m^(p^k) has order n in N(P)...
    But how will we discover what k is? And why it's a generator of N(P)/P?

Will you help me please?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2009
  6. Dec 22, 2009 #5
    bouncing this message
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook