1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Abstract Proof

1. Apr 3, 2010 #1
    Let R be a ring with multiplicative identity 1R. Suppose that R is finite. The elemets xy1, xy2,...xyn are all different. So x y_i=1R for some i.

A lemma that is not proven is given. If xyi=1R & yjx=1R, then yi=yj

I need to show that yjx=1R.

Right now I haven't got much. I took the contrapositive of the lemma, but I still get stuck as I'm not sure where I could go from there with the information that I'm given.

The book gives a theorem which states Let R be a ring with identity and a, b of R. If a is a unit each of the equations ax=b & ya=b has a unique solution in R.

Then it goes on to state that if the ring is not commutative, x may not be equal to y. But yeah, I'm still stuck.
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2010
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2010 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Hi kuahji! :smile:

(try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)

Hint: what's yjxyi ? :smile:
  4. Apr 4, 2010 #3

The teacher also gave a proof for the lemma.

Except of course we haven't shown yjx=1R yet.

Still stuck, can't make the intuitive leap.
  5. Apr 4, 2010 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I assume you mean yi=(yjx)yi=yj(xyi)=yj1R=yj ?
    But that's the definition of yj

yj is defined as the left inverse of x, and yi is defined as the right inverse …

so you're home. :smile:
  6. Apr 4, 2010 #5
    Ok, sorry I don't see how it's the definition of yj.

I mean with your hint we have

But that is still different from yjx=1R
  7. Apr 4, 2010 #6

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Because of …
    … yjx=1R is given. :wink:
  8. Apr 4, 2010 #7
    hehe but that lemma is what we're trying to prove. We can't use it to prove itself. But I got it now, had to work some algebraic magic. The "proof" of the lemma only showed that yi=yj. We were already given xyi=1R. So we still had to show the one part. Thanks for the help.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook