1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Abstract-Sylow Theorems

1. Dec 10, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    In the permutations group S4, let H be the cyclic group the is generated by the cycle
    (1 2 3 4).
    A. Prove that the centralizer C(H) of H is excatly H ( C(H)={g in G|gh=hg for every h in H} )
    B. Prove that the normalizer of H is a 2-sylow group of S4.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Well, there's a quick calculation of H:
    (1234)(1234)=(13)(24)
    (13)(24)(1234)=(1 4 3 2)
    (1432)(1234)=(1)(2)(3)(4)
    Hence: H={(1234),(13)(24),(1432),1}

The order of the group is 4. Hence [S4:H]=6...
    Since it's a cyclic group, it's abelian. Which means H is a sub group of C(H)...
    How can I prove that C(H) is in H? Or how excatly can I prove the 1st statement?

About 2, I actually have no clue.... My abilities in sylow&homomorphzm are realy lame and I need to send a lot of excercices 'till next week so I realy need your help :(

TNX to all the helpers!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 10, 2009 #2
    I haven't really thought a lot about it, but a fairly straightforward way I see to solve it (without the Sylow theorems; don't know if that's a problem) would be to use the theorem that for any subset H of a group G, the number of conjugates of H equals the index of the normalizer of H in G. So count the number of conjugates of H (there should be 3) and you will get the order of the normalizer of H in G, which will prove (B). As for (A) use the special case that says that for some element x of a group G, the number of conjugates of x equals the index of the centralizer of x in G. So count the number of conjugates of (1 2 3 4) (there should be 6 in total; all 4-cycles) and then you get the order of the centralizer of (1 2 3 4) which will convince you that you have found all elements of the centralizer of H.

I assume you algebra book has these theorems (in Dummit-Foote they are proposition 6 in section 4.3).

4. Dec 11, 2009 #3
    Hey there, I know these theorems of course, but the way you've suggested is very "not elegant" ...There might be an easier way?

TNX!

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook