What are the properties of cyclic and normalizer groups in S4?

• Thread starter TheForumLord
  • Start date
In summary: I see what you mean. The proof is straightforward, but it's not particularly pretty. However, it works. If you're willing to do the algebra, you can simply use the theorem that, for any subset H of a group G, the number of conjugates of H equals the index of the normalizer of H in G. So count the number of conjugates of H (there should be 3) and you will get the order of the normalizer of H in G, which will prove (B). As for (A) use the special case that says that for some element x of a group G, the number of conjugates of x equals the index of the centralizer of x in G. So count the
TheForumLord

Homework Statement

In the permutations group S4, let H be the cyclic group the is generated by the cycle
(1 2 3 4).
A. Prove that the centralizer C(H) of H is excatly H ( C(H)={g in G|gh=hg for every h in H} )
B. Prove that the normalizer of H is a 2-sylow group of S4.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Well, there's a quick calculation of H:
(1234)(1234)=(13)(24)
(13)(24)(1234)=(1 4 3 2)
(1432)(1234)=(1)(2)(3)(4)
Hence: H={(1234),(13)(24),(1432),1}

The order of the group is 4. Hence [S4:H]=6...
Since it's a cyclic group, it's abelian. Which means H is a sub group of C(H)...
How can I prove that C(H) is in H? Or how excatly can I prove the 1st statement?

About 2, I actually have no clue... My abilities in sylow&homomorphzm are really lame and I need to send a lot of excercices 'till next week so I really need your help :(

TNX to all the helpers!

Physics news on Phys.org
I haven't really thought a lot about it, but a fairly straightforward way I see to solve it (without the Sylow theorems; don't know if that's a problem) would be to use the theorem that for any subset H of a group G, the number of conjugates of H equals the index of the normalizer of H in G. So count the number of conjugates of H (there should be 3) and you will get the order of the normalizer of H in G, which will prove (B). As for (A) use the special case that says that for some element x of a group G, the number of conjugates of x equals the index of the centralizer of x in G. So count the number of conjugates of (1 2 3 4) (there should be 6 in total; all 4-cycles) and then you get the order of the centralizer of (1 2 3 4) which will convince you that you have found all elements of the centralizer of H.

I assume you algebra book has these theorems (in Dummit-Foote they are proposition 6 in section 4.3).

Hey there, I know these theorems of course, but the way you've suggested is very "not elegant" ...There might be an easier way?

TNX!

What is the Abstract-Sylow Theorem?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorem is a mathematical theorem that states that every finite group has a subgroup whose order is a power of a prime number.

What is the significance of the Abstract-Sylow Theorem?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorem is significant because it allows us to understand the structure of finite groups and their subgroups. It also has many applications in other areas of mathematics, such as group theory and number theory.

How is the Abstract-Sylow Theorem proved?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorem is typically proved using the techniques of group actions and counting the number of elements in a group. The proof involves constructing a subgroup of the given group with the desired order and then showing that it is unique up to isomorphism.

Can the Abstract-Sylow Theorem be extended to infinite groups?

No, the Abstract-Sylow Theorem only applies to finite groups. However, there are similar theorems that hold for infinite groups, such as the Sylow's Theorem for infinite groups.

What are some applications of the Abstract-Sylow Theorem?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorem has many applications in mathematics, including in the study of simple groups, classifying finite simple groups, and proving other theorems in group theory. It also has applications in other areas such as cryptography, coding theory, and physics.