What is the significance of Op(G) in finite groups with a prime order?

• Thread starter TheForumLord
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation is about proving that Op(G) is a normal p-subgroup in a finite group G of order n, where p is a prime number that divides n. The individual has also managed to prove that every normal p-subgroup of G is contained in Op(G), but needs help with proving that Op(G]) is equal to the identity element. The suggestion is to use the correspondence between subgroups of G/O_p(G) and subgroups of G containing O_p(G). Overall, the individual has managed to solve the problem on their own.
TheForumLord

Homework Statement

Let G be a finite group of order n and let p be a prime number that divides n.
Let's mark as Op(G) as the intersection of all p-sylow groups of G.

1. Prove that Op(G) is a normal p-subgroup in G. -I've managed to prove it..
2. Prove that every normal p-subgroup of G is contained in Op(G) -I've managed to prove this also...
3. Let's mark: G] = G/Op(G). Prove that Op(G] ) ={1} -I have no idea about this...
Help is needed :(

Tnx

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Use the correspondence between subgroups of [tex]G/O_p(G)[/tex] and subgroups of [tex]G[/tex] containing [tex]O_p(G)[/tex].

I've managed to prove it on my own...TNX anyway

1. What are the Abstract-Sylow Theorems?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorems are a set of theorems in abstract algebra that deal with the structure of finite groups. They are named after the mathematician Ludwig Sylow who first proved them in the late 19th century.

2. What is the significance of the Abstract-Sylow Theorems?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorems provide a powerful tool for understanding the structure of finite groups. They are essential in the study of group theory and have numerous applications in other areas of mathematics and science.

3. What is the difference between the Sylow Theorems and the Abstract-Sylow Theorems?

The Sylow Theorems specifically deal with finite groups of prime power order, while the Abstract-Sylow Theorems extend these results to finite groups of arbitrary order.

4. How many Abstract-Sylow Theorems are there?

There are three main Abstract-Sylow Theorems, known as the First, Second, and Third Theorems. These theorems are closely related and build upon each other.

5. What are some applications of the Abstract-Sylow Theorems?

The Abstract-Sylow Theorems have applications in various areas of mathematics, including group theory, number theory, and algebraic geometry. They are also used in cryptography and coding theory, as well as in physics and chemistry for understanding the symmetries of molecules and crystals.