Is the Dual Vector in Wald's Abstract Tensor Notation a Contraction?

In summary: The notation used in that book is really really terrible. Let me switch to friendlier notation: using an overbar for vectors and a tilde for dual vectors (also known as one-forms). So, we have \tilde{V} = \mathbf{g} (\bar{V}, \cdot)To find out the components of this dual vector, we evaluateV_{i} = \tilde{V}(\bar{e}_{i}) = \mathbf{g} (\bar{V}, \bar{e}_{i}) = \mathbf{g} (V^{j} \bar{e}_{j}, \bar{
JonnyG
In Wald's "General Relativity", in his section on abstract tensor notation, he let's [itex]g_{ab}[/itex] denote the metric tensor. When applied to a vector [itex]v^a[/itex], we get a dual vector, because [itex]g_{ab}(v^a, \cdot)[/itex] is just a dual vector. Okay cool. But then he says that this dual vector is actually [itex]g_{ab}v^b[/itex], which is a contraction. But don't we have [itex]g_{ab}v^b = \sum\limits_{i=1}^n g(\cdot, v^i) = \sum\limits_{i=1}^n g_{ab}(v^i, \cdot)[/itex], which in general is not going to be equal to [itex]g_{ab}(v^a, \cdot)[/itex]? Where am I messing up here?

EDIT: [itex] \{v^i\}[/itex] is a basis for the tangent space.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, the metric tensor is a symmetric tensor, so the order of the arguments doesn't matter.

Fightfish said:
Well, the metric tensor is a symmetric tensor, so the order of the arguments doesn't matter.

I know, but suppose for example [itex] v^a = \sum\limits_{i=1}^n c_i v^i[/itex] for scalars [itex]c_i > 1[/itex]. Then [itex] g_{ab}(v^a, \cdot) \neq \sum\limits_{i=1}^n g_{ab}(v^i, \cdot) [/itex]

EDIT: My issue is, when you apply the metric tensor to the vector [itex] v^a [/itex] then you get the dual vector [itex] g_{ab}(v^a, \cdot) [/itex]. But Wald writes that this is also the tensor [itex] g_{ab}v^b [/itex]. Now, I don't see how [itex] g_{ab}(v^a, \cdot) = g_{ab}v^b [/itex]. In fact, according to my calculations above, they are not, in general, equal.

EDIT 2: Hold on, is [itex] g_{ab}v^b [/itex] really a contraction? I thought contractions were applied to a single tensor? I mean, you can contract [itex] T^{abc}_{de} [/itex], but I don't see how [itex] g_{ab}v^b [/itex] is a contraction.

Last edited:
Ah okay I get what you are trying to say now; the notation used in that book is really really terrible. Let me switch to friendlier notation: using an overbar for vectors and a tilde for dual vectors (also known as one-forms).
So, we have
[tex]\tilde{V} = \mathbf{g} (\bar{V}, \cdot)[/tex]
To find out the components of this dual vector, we evaluate
[tex]V_{i} = \tilde{V}(\bar{e}_{i}) = \mathbf{g} (\bar{V}, \bar{e}_{i}) = \mathbf{g} (V^{j} \bar{e}_{j}, \bar{e}_{i}) = V^{j} g_{ij}[/tex]

As for the strange notation of ##g_{ab}(v^{a}, \cdot)##, I have absolutely no idea what it means...when you put superscripts or subscripts you are referring to the components already evaluated in some basis.

Likes JonnyG
JonnyG said:
EDIT: My issue is, when you apply the metric tensor to the vector [itex] v^a [/itex]
If ##v^a## is a general vector, why does it have a superscript - and why does it share the same index as that of the metric tensor? I think the source of your confusion stems from the notation.
JonnyG said:
EDIT 2: Hold on, is [itex] g_{ab}v^b [/itex] really a contraction? I thought contractions were applied to a single tensor? I mean, you can contract [itex] T^{abc}_{de} [/itex], but I don't see how [itex] g_{ab}v^b [/itex] is a contraction.
Yes, in standard notation, it is a contraction. You can always define [itex]T_{ab}^{c} \equiv g_{ab}v^c[/itex], no?

Likes JonnyG
Fightfish said:
If ##v^a## is a general vector, why does it have a superscript - and why does it share the same index as that of the metric tensor?

I will type exactly what the section says in my textbook. It's only a few lines:

Additional notational rules apply to the metric tensor, both in the index and component notations. Since a metric ##g## is a tensor of type ##(0,2)##, it is denoted ##g_{ab}##. If we apply the metric to a vector, ##v^a##, we get the dual vector ##g_{ab}v^b##.

I would like to go over some things in regards to this abstract tensor notation..Suppose we have a tensor of type ##(3,2)##. We can denote it by ##T^{abc}_{de}##. This means that ##T: V^* \times V^* \times V^* \times V \times V##. So, let ##\{\phi^*_i\}## denote the elementary contravariant tensors on ##V## and let ##\{\phi_i\}## denote the elementary covariant tensors on ##V##. Then we can write ##T^{abc}_{de} = \sum\limits_{i,j,k,u,v = 1}^n \phi^*_i \otimes \phi^*_j \otimes \phi^*_k \otimes \phi_u \otimes \phi_v ##. Do we write ##T## is equal to this summation? Or do we write ##T^{abc}_{de}## is equal to this summation? Because at first I thought ##T^{abc}_{de}## denoted the tensor, but now I am starting to think that it just denotes the general component of the tensor?

EDIT: Sorry, it should be ## T^{abc}_{de} = \sum\limits_{i,j,k,u,v = 1}^n \phi_u \otimes \phi_v \otimes \phi^*_i \otimes \phi^*_j \otimes \phi^*_k ## right?

JonnyG said:
I will type exactly what the section says in my textbook. It's only a few lines:

Additional notational rules apply to the metric tensor, both in the index and component notations. Since a metric ##g## is a tensor of type ##(0,2)##, it is denoted ##g_{ab}##. If we apply the metric to a vector, ##v^a##, we get the dual vector ##g_{ab}v^b##.
After racking my brain, I honestly have no idea what Wald is saying, although I guess that whatever he is trying to say is essentially equivalent to whatever I posted in #4. More accurately, ##g_{ab}V^b = V_{a}## is the a-th component of the dual vector ##\tilde{V} = \mathbf{g}(\bar{V}, \cdot)##.

JonnyG said:
Because at first I thought ##T^{abc}_{de}## denoted the tensor, but now I am starting to think that it just denotes the general component of the tensor?
Well, it can sometimes mean the former when used loosely, i.e. the tensor ##T^{abc}_{de}## blahblahblah, when when used mathematically, it refers to the component - after all, when you perform manipulations and summations, you are working with numbers (i.e. components).

JonnyG said:
So, let ##\{\phi^*_i\}## denote the elementary contravariant tensors on ##V## and let ##\{\phi_i\}## denote the elementary covariant tensors on ##V##. Then we can write ##T^{abc}_{de} = \sum\limits_{i,j,k,u,v = 1}^n \phi^*_i \otimes \phi^*_j \otimes \phi^*_k \otimes \phi_u \otimes \phi_v ##.
I'm not sure that this makes any sense. We usually write
[tex]\mathbf{T} = T^{abc}_{de} \bar{e}_{a} \otimes \bar{e}_{b} \otimes \bar{e}_{c} \otimes \tilde{\omega}^{d} \otimes \tilde{\omega}^{e} [/tex]
where ##\bar{e}## and ##\tilde{\omega}## are the basis vectors and dual vectors (one-forms).

Consider tensor products of the vector space (over the reals) ##V## and its dual space

In Penrose's abstract index notation, which Wald uses, and which I dislike, an index that uses the latin alphabet labels the space in which the object lies, so ##v^a## is an element of ##V##, not a real number (component with respect to a basis), ##g_{ab}## is an element of ##V^* \otimes V^*##, etc. Latin indices unambiguously give the space in which the object lives.

Indices that uses the greek alphabet specify components with respect to a particular basis, i.e., are real numbers.

##g_{ab} v^b## lives in ##V^*## (not in ##\mathbb{R}##), and in more traditional notation might be written as a contraction of ##\bf{g}\otimes\bf{v}##

Likes JonnyG

1. What is abstract tensor notation?

Abstract tensor notation is a mathematical notation system used to represent tensors, which are multidimensional arrays of numbers or functions. It is a concise and powerful way to express complex mathematical relationships and is widely used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields.

2. How is abstract tensor notation different from other mathematical notations?

Abstract tensor notation is different from other mathematical notations, such as vector notation or matrix notation, because it is more general and can represent tensors of any rank and dimension. It also uses index notation, where indices represent the different components of a tensor, making it easier to manipulate and perform calculations.

3. Why is abstract tensor notation important in science?

Abstract tensor notation is important in science because it provides a way to describe and understand complex physical phenomena, such as the behavior of fluids or the motion of objects in space. It allows scientists to express and manipulate equations in a concise and elegant way, making it easier to analyze and solve problems.

4. Are there any rules or conventions to follow when using abstract tensor notation?

Yes, there are some rules and conventions to follow when using abstract tensor notation. For example, indices should always be repeated in a term and should appear in both the numerator and denominator of a fraction. Also, indices should be summed over when they appear twice in a term, known as the Einstein summation convention.

5. Can abstract tensor notation be used in other fields besides science?

Yes, abstract tensor notation can be used in other fields besides science, such as mathematics, computer science, and economics. It is a versatile notation system that can be applied to many different types of problems and is not limited to a specific subject area.