Uncovering Abundant Numbers: My University Research

• Thread starter RocketSurgery
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Numbers
In summary, two professors are working on a conjecture that has to do with formulas that generate abundant and primitive abundant numbers. They have found simple formulas that generate abundant numbers (no one formula generates all tho. They have shown that they ONLY generate primes tho. The important thing is that these subsets aren't subsets of the subset that is created using the formula 6*2^n. So far the union of the 6 or so formulas creates an extremely dense subset of abundant numbers. Once they work more on the topic over the summer they will give more details.
RocketSurgery
Is anyone familiar with Abundant Numbers? As far what kind of work is being done now or any interesting findings.

Me and two professor at my Uni are working on proving (or disproving) some conjectures of mine that have to do with formulas which generate abundant and primitive abundant numbers.

I haven't found too very much on the net about these numbers aside from a few that seem unrelated to our work.

Physics news on Phys.org
I wrote an undergraduate project on perfect numbers. What are you looking for?

I'm not sure what you mean by "formulas which generate abundant and primitive abundant numbers". Are you trying to find a closed expression for each (primitive) abundant number in order, a formula that produces only/mostly (primitive) abundant numbers, or what? Are the formulas simple expressions with +, -, ^, etc, recurrence relations, implicitly defined functions, or what?

Well we have found simple formulas that generate abundant numbers (no one formula generates all tho. We have shown that they ONLY generate primes tho.
Theres some other work but we are studying these special simple functions first.

The reason I am being so vague is that so far we have a relatively large class of functions all of which seem to be special cases of a formula which does produce the primitive abundants in order. I was just interested if anyone else has studies such formulas or found counter examples. I'm going to run a mathematica program soon to test the one formula.

I'm glad someone else has studied these numbers my professor and I could find hardly any papers on them. :biggrin:

RocketSurgery said:
Well we have found simple formulas that generate abundant numbers (no one formula generates all tho. We have shown that they ONLY generate primes tho.
Theres some other work but we are studying these special simple functions first.

I still don't properly understand what you're doing. Making infinitely many abundant numbers from a simple formula is easy -- 6 * 2^n, for example. While perfect numbers have a complex structure that makes them rare, abundant numbers are closed under scalar multiplication (by n > 0).

So you're surely not making a claim that trivial, so where's the meat? Did you find a simple formula that generates a dense set of abundant numbers, perhaps?

RocketSurgery said:
The reason I am being so vague is that so far we have a relatively large class of functions all of which seem to be special cases of a formula which does produce the primitive abundants in order. I was just interested if anyone else has studies such formulas or found counter examples. I'm going to run a mathematica program soon to test the one formula.

All abundants in order, and no non-abundant numbers? That would be interesting. Even a high fraction of them would be significant.

RocketSurgery said:
I'm glad someone else has studied these numbers my professor and I could find hardly any papers on them. :biggrin:

My undergrad paper on odd perfect numbers had at least 23 citations, and I know I cut some out in the final editing stage. I'd have to imagine there's something out there for generating abundant numbers.

Last edited:
Yes 6*2^n as you have stated does generate a subset of the abundant numbers. What I have found are other formulas which also generate subsets of the abundant numbers.

The important thing is that these subsets aren't subsets of the subset that is created using the formula 6*2^n. So far the union of the 6 or so formulas creates an extremely dense subset of abundant numbers.

Once I work more on this topic over the summer I will give you some concrete details on my research but I want to properly formulate my conjecture before I post anything in case I find a counter example or anything.

I applaud you on your paper on odd perfect numbers. A professor at my school, Dr. Schiffman, whom I have consulted about my research gave a lecture recently on odd abundant numbers (possibly cited your paper when he published some of his results?).

For now though I really need to focus on my finals before I jump back into my research (It's way too damn addicting).

RocketSurgery said:
So far the union of the 6 or so formulas creates an extremely dense subset of abundant numbers.

Once I work more on this topic over the summer I will give you some concrete details on my research but I want to properly formulate my conjecture before I post anything in case I find a counter example or anything.

I look forward to hearing about your results, whether negative or positive.

1. What are abundant numbers?

Abundant numbers are a type of positive integer that have a sum of proper divisors greater than the number itself. For example, the proper divisors of 12 are 1, 2, 3, 4, and 6, which sum up to 16. Since 16 is greater than 12, 12 is considered an abundant number.

2. How can abundant numbers be useful in research?

Abundant numbers have been studied in various mathematical fields, including number theory and algebra. They can also be useful in practical applications, such as cryptography and coding theory. By understanding the properties of abundant numbers, we can gain insights into other mathematical concepts and potentially develop new algorithms or methods.

3. What methods are used to uncover new abundant numbers?

There are several methods that can be used to uncover new abundant numbers. Some common techniques include trial division, sieving, and the use of computer algorithms. These methods involve systematically checking and analyzing the properties of different numbers to determine if they are abundant.

4. How many abundant numbers are currently known?

The exact number of known abundant numbers is constantly changing as new ones are discovered through research. However, as of 2021, it is estimated that there are over 100 million abundant numbers. This number continues to grow as researchers uncover more abundant numbers through various methods.

5. What impact can the study of abundant numbers have on society?

The study of abundant numbers, and mathematics in general, can have a significant impact on society. By understanding the properties of numbers like abundant numbers, we can develop new technologies and improve existing ones. Additionally, studying mathematics can improve critical thinking skills and foster innovation, leading to advancements in various industries and fields.