Changing AC Supply Frequency: Resources & Suggestions

In summary, to change the frequency of AC supply to a very high frequency, you would pass the 50Hz AC through a transformer, rectify and filter it to get a DC voltage. You can then use this DC voltage to power an oscillator at the desired frequency and amplify the output. You can find schematics and information on designing an online switching power supply online.
kahei
I would like to ask how to change the frequency of the ac supply (frequency = 50Hz) to a ac with a very high frequency. Does anyone suggest any materials or websites for me to reference? Thanks.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You would pass the 50 Hz AC through a suitable transformer then rectify the output and filter it to get a DC voltage. DC voltages in the range 12 to 50 volts are commonly used for this.

Then you would use this DC voltage to power an oscillator which produces output at the required frequency.

This signal could then be amplified in an amplifier to produce sufficient output for your purposes.

Look up schematics of online switching power supply.( the kind that plug into wall plug and give you DC output). It consist rectifiers that turn 110VAC from the wall line and power an oscillator at something like 50KHz to form a switching power supply. Just copy their circuit. This is very common circuits, you can find books on switching power supplies.

I've been on PF for about 10 minutes and I've already seen 2 past issues that I hired a Boston electrician to complete because I didn't know about sites like this.

What yungman said is exactly right. The circuits are extremely common, and a switch is probably the best method.

If you need some more help, let us know!

Do you mean that I should first convert the a.c. (e.g. 220V ac) to d.c., then connect it to the oscillator circuit? Would the output of d.c. be too high?

Beside, may you please give me some links for me to have some references?

Thanks a lot.

You said VHF, very high frequency. This is usually taken to mean frequencies above 30 MHz and below 300 MHz. Did you mean this?

You didn't say what voltage you want, but you could step the input voltage down to 12 volts, rectify and filter it and then run an oscillator from that. Or, you could step the output of a VHF oscillator down to whatever voltage you want.

Components for 12 volt oscillators are probably cheaper and more readily available than for 220 volts.

kahei said:
Do you mean that I should first convert the a.c. (e.g. 220V ac) to d.c., then connect it to the oscillator circuit? Would the output of d.c. be too high?

Beside, may you please give me some links for me to have some references?

Thanks a lot.

Far as technical information, just go online and find the theory of operation of an "On line switching power supply" and you'll should find a lot of info. They have books on how to design a switching power supply...which is a AC to DC converter in essence. Inside, it has an about 50KHz oscillator that get rectified to become DC. Just take the oscillator output.

Last edited:

What is AC supply frequency?

AC supply frequency is the number of oscillations or cycles per second of the alternating current (AC) that is being supplied to a circuit. It is measured in Hertz (Hz) and is typically 50 Hz or 60 Hz in most countries.

Why would someone want to change the AC supply frequency?

There are several reasons why someone may want to change the AC supply frequency. One reason is to synchronize the frequency with other devices in the circuit. Another reason is to adjust the speed of motors or other equipment that rely on AC power. Additionally, in some cases, changing the frequency can help reduce energy consumption and improve efficiency.

How can the AC supply frequency be changed?

The AC supply frequency can be changed by using a frequency converter or an inverter. A frequency converter uses a series of electronic components to convert the frequency, while an inverter uses a combination of electronic components and a DC power source to create a new AC frequency.

What are the resources available for changing AC supply frequency?

There are various resources available for changing AC supply frequency, such as frequency converters, inverters, and specialized equipment for specific industries or applications. There are also online calculators and software programs that can help with determining the appropriate frequency for a specific circuit or device.

What are some suggestions for changing AC supply frequency?

Before attempting to change AC supply frequency, it is important to consult with a professional or expert in the field. They can provide guidance on the best approach and equipment to use for a specific application. It is also important to follow safety protocols and ensure that all equipment is properly grounded and protected against potential hazards.