What data is needed to calculate the power of an AC adapter for forklifts?

In summary: So typically: 700ah*48v = ~66.4 kWhrs, requires that plus and additional ~7 kWh from the grid, for a total ~$8.3 per charge at average US retail electric rates.In summary, you would need to calculate the power of the charger/inverter and the electric current that flows through it to get a max power.
fanzak
Hi Everyone,
It is great to be here. I have a problem concerning the estimation of power of AC Adapters that are used for the charging Forklifts batteries. What data would I need to calculate the Power of such charger / inverter ?

Thanks,
Marcin.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
fanzak said:
Hi Everyone,
It is great to be here. I have a problem concerning the estimation of power of AC Adapters that are used for the charging Forklifts batteries. What data would I need to calculate the Power of such charger / inverter ?

Thanks,
Marcin.

Welcome to the PF. The datasheet for the battery should have some recommended charging rate(s) on it. A typical rate might be 1/10 of C (the capacity of the battery in amp*hours). Do you have access to the battery's datasheet?

Thanks Berkeman for a quick respond. I have the following data.

C = 700Ah
Voltage = 48V
Average battery life = 7 or 8hrs

fanzak said:
Thanks Berkeman for a quick respond. I have the following data.

C = 700Ah
Voltage = 48V
Average battery life = 7 or 8hrs

Whooya, that's a big battery. But I guess it makes sense for 8 hours of battery life for a forklift.

0.1C would be 70 amps for 10 hours to recharge, but that's high enough that you should definitely check the battery datasheet or check with the manufacturer. What brand is the battery, and what is the part number?

I don't have this data now. What if I could get a output voltage of the charger / inverter and electric current that flows through it?

Then I suppose, it would give me a max power of the charger, right?

fanzak said:
I don't have this data now. What if I could get a output voltage of the charger / inverter and electric current that flows through it?

Then I suppose, it would give me a max power of the charger, right?

You really need to know more about the battery, to pick the right charger for the job.

I googled Forklift Battery 700Ahr Charging, and got lots of useful hits.

http://www.google.com/search?source...US301US302&q=forklift+battery+700Ahr+charging

Here's a hit for safety considerations when charging forklift batteries:

http://www.westmont.edu/_faculty_staff/pages/physical_plant/forms/HazardPrevention/forklifts.pdf

What country are you in? In the US, OSHA has regulations pertaining to forklift safety, including battery charging:

http://blog.forklifttraining.ws/2009/01/forklift-battery-charging-eye-wash.html

And this is one of the battery/charger vendor hits:

http://giantbatteryco.com/

You really need to talk to the battery vendor about how to charge those batteries.

berman, thanks for your help!

The only thing i need to calculate is the charging cost for 8hr period.

fanzak said:
berman, thanks for your help!

The only thing i need to calculate is the charging cost for 8hr period.

A ballpark recharge cost could be calculated from the energy that you put back in a discharged battery. Multiply 700Ahr * 48V to get an idea of the energy stored in the battery. Then look at your electric bill to see what the cost per kWhr is.

What if I have other devices plugged in?

I thought that best approach would be to get calculate output power and then multiply it by charging time and Price for kWh.

fanzak said:
What if I have other devices plugged in?

I thought that best approach would be to get calculate output power and then multiply it by charging time and Price for kWh.

Multiple devices? Output power?

Regarding the electric bill, add ~10% wasted as heat by the charge above the rated full charge capacity of the battery. So typically: 700ah*48v = ~33.6 kWhrs in the battery, requires that plus and additional ~3 kWh from the grid, for a total ~$3.7 per charge at average US retail electric rates.

Also if these are lead acid batteries (traditionally they are for Forks), the fully charged battery will waste ~30% as heat instead of delivering motor power.

1. What is an AC adapter for forklifts?

An AC adapter for forklifts is a device that converts AC power from an electrical outlet into DC power that is suitable for charging the battery of a forklift. It is essential for maintaining the power and functionality of electric forklifts.

2. How does an AC adapter for forklifts work?

An AC adapter for forklifts typically consists of a transformer, a rectifier, and a regulating circuit. The transformer converts the high-voltage AC power from the outlet into a lower voltage. The rectifier then converts the AC power into DC power, and the regulating circuit ensures a constant and appropriate voltage for charging the forklift battery.

3. What are the benefits of using an AC adapter for forklifts?

The main benefit of using an AC adapter for forklifts is that it allows for a safe and efficient charging of the forklift battery. It also helps to extend the lifespan of the battery by providing a regulated and controlled charging process. Additionally, using an AC adapter eliminates the need for manual battery swapping, saving time and labor costs.

4. Are there different types of AC adapters for forklifts?

Yes, there are different types of AC adapters for forklifts, including single-phase and three-phase adapters. Single-phase adapters are suitable for smaller forklifts and can be plugged into a standard household outlet. Three-phase adapters are more powerful and are used for larger forklifts and are typically found in industrial settings.

5. How do I choose the right AC adapter for my forklift?

The right AC adapter for your forklift will depend on the voltage and amperage requirements of your forklift battery. It is important to consult the manufacturer's specifications to ensure that the adapter you choose is compatible with your forklift. Additionally, consider the type of charging method you prefer, such as fast charging or opportunity charging, when selecting an AC adapter.