Choosing the Right AC Adaptor: A Guide to Model Names, Compatibility, and Cost

• Thread starter rar0308
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac Model
In summary, the conversation discusses the search for a compatible adaptor for an appliance, as the one sold by the official website is expensive. The individual is considering matching the output voltage and current, but it is recommended to also consider the correct AC or DC type and the polarity of the plug. The part number S018QU2400050 is mentioned and can be found on eBay for a lower price. There is also a mention of potential noise interference from the switching frequency on the adaptor's output range.
rar0308
I want to replace an adaptor for some appliance.
The part that is sold in an official website of the product is expensive.
So I'm looking for compatible models.
Is it usually OK to only consider matching Output Voltage and current?

S018QU2400050 is written on the apator.
I think 24 stands for 24V and 50 stands for 0.5A and S stands for switching.
Do you know what 018QU stands for?

Engineering news on Phys.org
Don't know what the part number means, but...
the S018QU2400050 is available on eBay for about USD20.00

rar0308 said:
I want to replace an adaptor for some appliance.
The part that is sold in an official website of the product is expensive.
So I'm looking for compatible models.
Is it usually OK to only consider matching Output Voltage and current?
It depends on the appliance.

You need to make sure to correctly choose AC or DC. Also, the plug can be either centre positive or centre negative, and this is usually indicated by a symbol on the case near the socket.

I've had projects where the switching frequency noise on the output range through out my circuits.

I would recommend considering more than just the output voltage and current when choosing a replacement AC adaptor. While these are important factors to ensure compatibility with your appliance, there are other factors that should also be taken into account, such as the plug size and polarity, as well as the efficiency and safety features of the adaptor. It is also important to consider the quality and reliability of the adaptor, as a cheaper option may not last as long or could potentially damage your appliance.

In regards to the model number, I cannot say for certain what the 018QU stands for without more information about the specific product and manufacturer. It is possible that it could be a unique identifier for the model or a code for the manufacturing date or location. I would recommend reaching out to the manufacturer for more information on the model number.

Q: What is an AC adaptor?

An AC adaptor is a device that converts alternating current (AC) from a power outlet into direct current (DC) that can be used to power electronic devices.

Q: What is the purpose of model naming for AC adaptors?

The purpose of model naming for AC adaptors is to differentiate between different types and versions of adaptors, as well as to identify which electronic devices they are compatible with.

Q: How are AC adaptor models named?

AC adaptor models are typically named based on the specifications of the adaptor, such as voltage, current, and plug size. They may also include the brand name or specific device compatibility.

Q: Why do some AC adaptors have different model names for the same device?

Some AC adaptors may have different model names for the same device due to differences in manufacturing or design, which can affect the specifications and compatibility of the adaptor.

Q: Can I use an AC adaptor with a different model name for my electronic device?

It is recommended to only use an AC adaptor with the exact model name specified for your electronic device to ensure proper compatibility and avoid potential damage to the device or adaptor.

Back