AC & Heat Pumps: Motor Vehicle Solutions

In summary, on a hot day the AC in a car works immediately, but on a cold day it takes time for the cooling system to warm up before providing warm air. The conversation discusses the possibility of using solenoid valves to turn the AC unit into a heat pump for immediate warmth, but it may be too costly for motor manufacturers. Some alternative solutions, such as PTC heaters and remote starters, are mentioned but also come with their own costs. In the end, it is possible to implement such a system, but the engine heat is already available and can be used instead.
Jobrag
On a hot day the AC in my car starts working immediately pumping cool air, on a cold day I have to wait till the cooling system heats up before I get warm air. It would be perfectly possible (with the aid of a couple of solenoid valves) for the AC unit to run as a heat pump providing immediate warmth, why don't motor manufactures fit a system like that? Is it just cost?

Engineering news on Phys.org
So you don't want to use the heat generated by the engine; just loose it?

It is a big expense for something only used for 5 min per day.

Yeah it's pretty much the same old story. Anything that is physically possible can be done, but at a cost.

Simple fix, and it's found in most hybrid cars and some diesels...PTC heater.

My son in law in the cold north, uses a remote starter.
Starts his car about 5 min before he gets out of work.
This method also works for cooling the car down in summer.
It does cost some extra fuel, but if it's -20F, it's worth it.
The answer to your original question is Yes it is possible,
but the engine heat is already there, no need to squeeze
your own out of the air.

1. What is the difference between an AC and a heat pump?

AC and heat pumps are both cooling systems, but they work in different ways. An AC removes heat from inside a building and releases it outside, while a heat pump can both remove heat from inside a building and bring it inside, acting as both a cooling and heating system.

2. How does a heat pump work?

A heat pump works by using electricity to transfer heat from one location to another. In the summer, it takes heat from inside a building and releases it outside, and in the winter, it takes heat from the outside and brings it inside.

3. What are the benefits of using a heat pump?

One of the main benefits of using a heat pump is its energy efficiency. Because it moves heat instead of generating it, it can be up to 50% more efficient than traditional heating systems. Additionally, it can provide both heating and cooling, making it a versatile option for different climates.

4. How often should I have my heat pump serviced?

It is recommended to have your heat pump serviced at least once a year, ideally before the start of the cooling or heating season. Regular maintenance can help ensure that your heat pump is working efficiently and can catch any potential issues before they become major problems.

5. Can a heat pump be used in cold climates?

Yes, a heat pump can be used in cold climates. While it may struggle to extract heat from very cold air, most modern heat pumps have a backup heating system for when temperatures drop too low. It is important to choose a heat pump with a high heating capacity for colder climates.