Why Does V_R3 Measure 100 V in a Mixed Resistor AC Circuit?

In summary, the book says V_R3 = 100 V, but my calculations show V_R1 = 20 V and V_R2 = 100 V. So the voltage drop across R2 is the same as across R3, which equals 0 V.
Brad1983
I am confused when it comes to this AC circuit problem. It is part e. The back of the book shows that V_R3 = 100 V. But as you see from my calculations, I get V_R1 = 20 V and
V_R2 = 100 V. So shouldn't V_R3 = 0 V because the original voltage source for this AC circuit is 120 V, yet the book says V_R3 = 100 V.

I am used to DC where you add up the voltages on each resistor and see if it equals the total voltage source. Hope you guys can help because we just started this stuff this week.

Q: Draw the diagram of a three resistor series parallel circuit having a 10-kΩ resistor (labeled R_1) in series with the source, and two 100-kΩ resistor (labeled R_2 and R_3) in parallel with each other and in series with R_1. Assume a 120-V ac source. Calculate the following parameters and appropriate label them on the diagram:
a.) V_R1
b.) I_R1
c.) P_R1
d.) I_R2
e.) V_R3
f.) ɸ between V applied and I total
__________________________________________________ _________________________
My Calculation:
Picture of Circuit:
http://img87.imageshack.us/f/circuith.png/

R_equ1 = 1/((1/R_2)+(1/R_3)) = 1/((1/100 kΩ)+(1/100 kΩ)) = 50 kΩ
R_T = R_1 + R_equ1 = 10 kΩ + 50 kΩ = 60 kΩ
V_T = I_T * R_T
I_T = V_T / R_T = 120 / 60 kΩ = 2 mA

a.)
V_R1 = I_T * R_1= 2 mA * 10 kΩ = 20 V
b.)
V_R1 = I_R1 * R_1
I_R1 = V_R1/ R_1 = 20 V / 10 kΩ = 2 mA
c.)
P = V_R1² / R_1 = (20 V)² / 10 kΩ = 40 mW
d.)
V_T = V_R1+ V_R2
V_R2= V_T - V_R1= 120 V – 20 V = 100 V
V_R2= I_R2* R_2
I_R2 = V_R2/ R_2 = 100 V / 100 kΩ = 1 mA
e.)
V_T = V_R1 + V_R2 + V_R3
V_R3= V_T - V_R1- V_R2= 120 V – 20 V – 100 V
= 0V

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi Brad1983! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)
Brad1983 said:
… I get V_R1 = 20 V and
V_R2 = 100 V. So shouldn't V_R3 = 0 V because the original voltage source for this AC circuit is 120 V, yet the book says V_R3 = 100 V.

voltage only adds in series, voltage in parallel is the same

in this case the voltage drop (ie, the difference in potential) across R2 is the same as across R3

in both cases, it's the difference in potential between those two junctions in the middle of the diagram :smile:

(always think of voltage drops, or voltage differences, between two points, rather than just voltage :wink:)

tiny-tim said:
Hi Brad1983! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(try using the X2 icon just above the Reply box :wink:)

voltage only adds in series, voltage in parallel is the same

in this case the voltage drop (ie, the difference in potential) across R2 is the same as across R3

in both cases, it's the difference in potential between those two junctions in the middle of the diagram :smile:

(always think of voltage drops, or voltage differences, between two points, rather than just voltage :wink:)

I see, so it would stay the same regardless...I forgot about that.

Thanks Tim.

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit, where the current flows in one direction only.

2. How does an AC circuit work?

In an AC circuit, the current alternates between positive and negative values, producing a sinusoidal waveform. This is achieved through the use of an alternating voltage source, such as a generator, that drives the electrons back and forth in the circuit.

3. What are the components of an AC circuit?

An AC circuit typically consists of a voltage source, such as a generator, a load, such as a light bulb or motor, and various connecting wires and components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors.

4. How do you calculate the voltage and current in an AC circuit?

The voltage and current in an AC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the voltage is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance. However, for AC circuits, the calculations become more complex due to the alternating nature of the current and the presence of reactive components like capacitors and inductors.

5. How do you solve problems involving AC circuits?

To solve problems involving AC circuits, you will need to use various techniques and formulas, such as Kirchhoff's laws, impedance calculations, and phasor analysis. It is important to have a strong understanding of the fundamentals of AC circuits and to carefully analyze the given problem before attempting to solve it.