1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC circuit (diagram included)

1. Mar 1, 2015 #1
    circ#1.png 1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Need to find Voltage V. I know that I need to first solve for the currents, have tried using loop rules, not having much luck.

2. Relevant equations

Just would like to know how to approach, and solve, this problem. ME and circuits has never been my friend, thanks!

3. The attempt at a solution
    upload_2015-3-1_15-48-39.png

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 1, 2015 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

You chose an excellent strategy using nodal analysis as it yields an equation in one variable that happens to be the one you want to find.

Something went wrong between your third and fourth step though, when you tried to invert the coefficient of V1 in moving it to the RHS of the equation.

4. Mar 1, 2015 #3
    WIN_20150301_175741.JPG
    Dealing with i has been messing me up, don't use it much in Newtonian mechanics haha. I think I'm getting further away... according to chegg the solution is 28.28<45deg. ill attach my latest attempt. Thanks for the help!

5. Mar 1, 2015 #4

gneill

Yeah, you've done the same thing again between the final line on the left and the new line at the top right. Note:

[tex]\left( \frac{1}{10} + \frac{j}{10} \right)^{-1} \neq \left( 10 - 10j \right) [/tex]

6. Mar 1, 2015 #5
    Wow, embarrassing...

You sir are a scholar, and gentleman. Thanks!

7. Mar 1, 2015 #6

gneill

Glad to help!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted