AC Circuit Qs: Power & Current w/ 200V RMS

In summary, the conversation discusses solving for the rms current drawn from an AC source that supplies active power of 600 W and reactive power of 800 VAR. The answer is 3.75, but one person's calculation resulted in 5. They explain their method using squared values and resistance and reactance in series. Another person mentions a mistake with the sqrt(3) factor.
dhruv.tara
Now this is not a homework question, just a practise question and my answer doesn't match.

An AC source of 200 V rms supplies active power of 600 W and reactive power of 800 VAR. The rms current drawn from the source is ? (the answer is 3.75 while mine is 5)

I did was squared and added the powers to get V^2*I^2, plugged in the value of V and got I as 5... Any help?

Engineering news on Phys.org
I like your answer.

Try it with 24 ohms resistive and 32 ohms reactive in series.
I squared R:
5 * 5 * 24 = 600 watts
I squared X
5 * 5 * 32 = 800 VAR

resultant of r + x:
SQ rt of (24 * 24 + 32 * 32) = 40 ohms
200 V / 40 ohms = 5 amps

Last edited:
p=sqrt(3)*V*I*p.f

from where did that sqrt(3) factor come into? I have seen this factor before, but as far as I remember that was in 3 phase systems... And I am not dealing with such problem yet I think...

sorry, my mistake, you're right dump the sqrt(3).

hmm okiess... thanks all

1. What is an AC circuit and how does it differ from a DC circuit?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit in which the flow of electric charge periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC (direct current) circuit, where the flow of electric charge only moves in one direction.

2. What is the meaning of "200V RMS" in the context of an AC circuit?

200V RMS refers to the root mean square (RMS) voltage of an AC circuit. This is a way of measuring the effective voltage of an AC circuit, taking into account the varying amplitude of the voltage over time.

3. How is power calculated in an AC circuit with 200V RMS?

The power in an AC circuit with 200V RMS can be calculated using the formula P = V^2/R, where V is the RMS voltage and R is the resistance in the circuit. This formula can also be modified to include the RMS value of the current, giving the formula P = V(I/R).

4. What is the difference between peak and RMS values in an AC circuit?

Peak values refer to the maximum voltage or current in an AC circuit, while RMS values refer to the effective voltage or current. The peak value of an AC circuit is always higher than the RMS value, and the relationship between the two is dependent on the type of waveform in the circuit.

5. Can the power and current in an AC circuit with 200V RMS change over time?

Yes, both power and current in an AC circuit can vary over time due to changes in resistance or voltage. This is because the RMS values of power and current are dependent on the instantaneous values of voltage and current in the circuit, which can change over time.