AC Circuit Power Calculation

In summary, the conversation discusses the power consumption and cost of running a household with various appliances connected to a single phase supply. The power being consumed is calculated using the equation P = I x V x cos(phi), where I is the current, V is the voltage, and cos(phi) is the power factor. The cost of running the household for 24 hours is determined by multiplying the energy charge of 13 cents per kilowatt-hour by the total power consumed. The conversation also addresses the use of Vrms for AC voltage and the impact of voltage angle on power calculations.
math_04

Homework Statement

In a domestic house, the voltage on the supply is 230V at angle 0 degrees. A number of household appliances are connected to the single phase supply causing a current of 20A at a power factor of 0.75 lagging to flow from the supply

a) What power is being consumed by the loads.

b) If energy is charged at 13 cents /KWh, how much would it cost to run the house for 24 hours?

c) If an electric radiator(resistive load) drawing 10A were connected in parallel with other loads, what total current would be drawn from the supply?

Homework Equations

Do I use Average Power = (Vrms)^2 /R. Thing is I don't know what Vrms is?

There is also P = Irms X Vrms cos (phi). I think cos phi = power factor = 0.75?

The Attempt at a Solution

So is the answer just P = 20 X 230 X 0.75? Also what if the angle was greater than 0 degrees? Does that matter i,e do I have to use a different equation.

Thanks, this is really hard, so many equations to remember. ill stick to DC circuit analysis any time of the day!

Physics news on Phys.org
math_04 said:

Thing is I don't know what Vrms is?

No, but you can determine it. I assume your voltage of 230 volts represents the peak voltage of a sine wave for an alternating current. For a sine wave electric signal, Vrms = Vpeak/sqrt(2).

230V is probably already the rms.
Usually you quote Vrms for an AC voltage and 230V is the standard Vrms for Europe.

Ohh so my above answer to P was right then? The one i mentioned in solution.

Yes, if you mean "P = 20 X 230 X 0.75", you're correct.

I think cos phi = power factor = 0.75?
Also correct.

if the angle of the voltage not equal zero then
p=V(rms)*I(rms)*cos(phi)
power factor = cos(phi)=cos[theta(v)-theta(I)]
so if the voltage angle not equal zero it doesn't affect ur answer bec in power calculation u use the power factor which is constant so phi is also constant

What is an AC circuit and how does it work?

An AC (alternating current) circuit is a type of electrical circuit that uses alternating current to transfer energy. This means that the direction of the current constantly changes, unlike DC (direct current) circuits where the current flows in one direction. AC circuits typically consist of a power source, such as a generator, and various components such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. The alternating current is produced by rotating a magnet within a coil of wire, creating a changing magnetic field that induces an alternating current in the wire.

What is the difference between AC and DC circuits?

The main difference between AC and DC circuits is the direction of the current. In AC circuits, the current alternates direction, while in DC circuits, the current flows in one direction. Additionally, AC circuits can be used to transfer electrical energy over long distances, while DC circuits are more suitable for short distances. AC circuits also have the ability to change voltage levels using transformers, while DC circuits require a DC-DC converter to change voltage levels.

How is power calculated in an AC circuit?

The power in an AC circuit is calculated using the formula P = V x I x cosθ, where P is power in watts, V is voltage in volts, I is current in amps, and cosθ is the power factor. The power factor takes into account the phase difference between voltage and current in an AC circuit. In a purely resistive circuit, the power factor is 1, but in circuits with inductors and capacitors, the power factor can be less than 1.

What is the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance in an AC circuit?

Ohm's Law, which states that voltage is equal to current multiplied by resistance (V = I x R), also applies to AC circuits. However, in AC circuits, the voltage, current, and resistance are constantly changing due to the alternating current. Therefore, the relationship between these three variables is expressed as an RMS (root mean square) value, which takes into account the peak and average values of the voltage, current, and resistance in an AC circuit.

How do I calculate the power factor in an AC circuit?

The power factor in an AC circuit is calculated by dividing the real power (P) by the apparent power (S). The real power is calculated using the formula P = V x I x cosθ, and the apparent power is calculated using the formula S = V x I. The power factor can also be determined by measuring the phase difference between voltage and current using an oscilloscope or by using a power factor meter.