Understanding Circuit Components: Capacitor, Inductor, Resistor

In summary, a pure capacitor or inductor does not consume electrical energy because they store energy in their electric and magnetic fields, respectively, and release it back to the circuit. This is illustrated through waveform diagrams, where the current through a capacitor is a sine wave and the voltage is a cosine wave with a phase shift of ninety degrees. The power consumed or supplied by these devices is found by integrating the product of their voltage and current over a period, resulting in a net value of zero. On the other hand, a pure resistor does consume electrical energy as it dissipates it in the form of heat. Its waveform diagram would show the current and voltage in phase with each other, with no phase shift. The power consumed by a resistor can be
johnboy14
Explain why a pure capacitor or a pure inductor does not consume electrical energy, while a pure resistor does. Illustrate your answer using waveform diagrams.

I need some wave diagrams for this. I have no idea what the waves look like

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
For the inductor, draw the voltage and current waveforms versus time (assume sinusoidal excitation at some arbitrary frequency). What is the relationship between i(t) and v(t) for an inductor? What is the equation for the power consumed or supplied by an inductor? What is it net over a few periods of the sine wave?

Repeat for a capacitor and then a resistor. Show your work.

berkeman's post is excellent guidance, but I think I'll add a bit more detail.

Remember that reactive devices (like capacitors and inductors) have a phase shift between their V(t) and I(t) curves.

For example, the current through a capacitor is proportional to the time derivative of the voltage across it, correct?

[tex]I = C \frac{dV}{dt}[/tex]

Well, that means if you put in a sine wave for V(t), I(t) must be a cosine wave -- a phase shift of ninety degrees.

Now, as berkeman says, find the instantaneous power consumed by the device by multiplying V(t) and I(t), and then integrate that over a period to find the average value.

- Warren

1. What is a capacitor and how does it work?

A capacitor is an electronic component that stores electrical energy in the form of an electric field between two conductive plates. It works by allowing charge to build up on the plates, creating an electric field between them. This stored energy can then be released when needed.

2. What is an inductor and what is its purpose?

An inductor is a passive electronic component that stores energy in the form of a magnetic field. It consists of a coil of wire that resists changes in the flow of electricity. Its purpose is to filter out high-frequency signals and to store energy in a circuit.

3. How does a resistor affect an electrical circuit?

A resistor is an electronic component that limits or resists the flow of current in a circuit. It is used to control the amount of current flowing through a circuit and to reduce the voltage in a circuit. It also helps to dissipate excess energy in the form of heat.

4. How do the values of capacitors, inductors, and resistors affect circuit performance?

The values of these components affect circuit performance in different ways. The capacitance of a capacitor determines how much charge it can store and how fast it can charge or discharge. The inductance of an inductor determines its ability to store energy in a magnetic field and its resistance to changes in current. The resistance of a resistor determines how much current will flow through it and how much voltage will be dropped across it.

5. What are the main differences between capacitors, inductors, and resistors?

The main differences between these components are their functions and how they store and manipulate energy. Capacitors store energy in an electric field, inductors store energy in a magnetic field, and resistors dissipate energy. They also have different symbols, units of measurement, and behaviors in circuits.