How to Calculate Current Using Superposition Theorem and Impedance with Phases

In summary: Are you trying to find the current through the 1 Ohm resistor or the voltage across the 1 Ohm resistor?
Rurik1

Homework Statement

I need help with determining the current through the 1Ω resistor.

http://img403.imageshack.us/img403/5422/acex22.jpg

The trouble I have is that the voltage sources are phased as given in picture, and I got stuck on how to deal with these phases when calculating the current with impendance.

I know I need to count the impendance, but I get the wrong answer when I count the current from every source (superposition theorem).

Homework Equations

If I look at it through the superposition theorem and current divider rule, I should get the correct answer with regards to current through the 1 Ω resistor.

I am absolutely certain that I don't do the voltage right, i.e. 5 Δ 30 and 5 Δ -30 . Is this correct thinking?

The Attempt at a Solution

Back to superposition theorem, I can count the total impendance for every voltage source. Then I divide the voltage, example

(5 Δ 30) / Z Δ ω = I

From there I go to the current divider rule and count the current through the resistor per source. This is repeated with the upper source as:

(5 Δ -30) / Z Δ ω = I

------------------

I've handled these problems well without the voltage phases, but I don't think I handle the voltage phases rather well here. I would really appreciate any pointers on how to proceed!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Rurik1, welcome to PF.

You can put all the phasor quantities in complex form. The complex math takes care of the phases.

As a suggestion, why don't you convert the voltage sources and their networks up to the 1 Ohm resistor into their Norton equivalents? Those can then be combined into a single Norton source in parallel with that resistor.

gneill

Thanks for your quick reply! Norton is another solution, however I want to see where I am blinding myself here.

OK, superposition, starting from below:

Z1(3Ohms) = 3Δ0o

Z2(5Ohms) = 5Δ0o

Z3(1Ohms) = 1Δ0o

Z4(L) = 2∏*50*0.05Δ90o

From the source below, the current through 1 Ohm should be as per this picture:

And so on... It amazes me that I can't see it... ?!

EDIT: this means, that the next count from the upper source will be 5Δ-30o, so the impendance angle will be subtracted - is this correct?

Attachments

• EQ1.jpg
    EQ1.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Your picture looks like an exercise in continued fractions :smile: My approach would be to work symbolically until the last stage, defining useful intermediate values as required. So, taking your definitions for Z1 through Z4, I'd define Z5 = Z3||Z4 for example. Then to find the current through Z3 due to V2 (the bottom source), after suppressing V1 I'd note the voltage divider consisting of Z2 and Z5. Thus:
[tex] I_2 = V_2 \left(\frac{Z_5}{Z_2 + Z_5}\right) \frac{1}{Z_3} [/tex]
After that the numbers can be plugged in and the result obtained.

Rurik1 said:
EDIT: this means, that the next count from the upper source will be 5Δ-30o, so the impendance angle will be subtracted - is this correct?

I'm not clear on what you're asking here.

1. What is AC circuit superposition and how does it work?

AC circuit superposition is a method used to analyze the behavior of a linear circuit with multiple independent sources. It involves breaking down the circuit into smaller parts and analyzing each part separately, while all other sources are turned off. The final solution is obtained by adding together the individual solutions. This method works because linear circuits follow the principle of superposition, which states that the total response of a circuit is the sum of the responses caused by each individual source.

2. When should I use AC circuit superposition?

AC circuit superposition is most useful when analyzing circuits with multiple independent sources, such as voltage sources and current sources. It is also helpful when dealing with complex circuits that cannot be easily solved using other methods, such as mesh or nodal analysis. However, it should only be used for linear circuits, as non-linear circuits do not follow the principle of superposition.

3. What are the limitations of AC circuit superposition?

While AC circuit superposition is a useful tool for analyzing linear circuits, it does have some limitations. It can only be used for circuits with linear components, such as resistors, capacitors, and inductors. It also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources, as these sources cannot be turned off like independent sources. Additionally, AC circuit superposition assumes that all sources are operating at the same frequency, so it cannot be used for circuits with multiple frequencies.

4. How do I apply AC circuit superposition in practice?

To apply AC circuit superposition, you will need to follow a few steps. First, you will need to identify all the independent sources in the circuit. Then, turn off all sources except for one and solve for the voltage or current at the desired point. Repeat this process for each independent source, keeping all other sources turned off. Finally, add together all the individual solutions to get the final solution for the circuit.

5. Are there any alternatives to AC circuit superposition?

Yes, there are other methods for analyzing AC circuits, such as mesh analysis, nodal analysis, and Thevenin's theorem. These methods may be more suitable for certain circuits and may provide a quicker solution. However, AC circuit superposition can still be a useful tool to have in your toolbox, especially for complex circuits with multiple sources. It is always a good idea to be familiar with multiple methods and choose the one that works best for a given circuit.