AC circuit - voltage drop and resonance

In summary: The fact that the two voltmeter readings are equal suggests to me that the two impedances are equal, a condition which is independent of any resonance condition. In summary, the two voltmeter readings being equal suggests that the two impedances are equal, independent of any resonance condition.
Rugile

Homework Statement

An AC voltmeter connected to the nodes A and B shows the same value as when connected to the nodes A and D (refer to attachment). What is the inductance of the inductor? What value does the voltmeter show? The inductor is ideal. U = 70sin(314t) V, C = 80 μF, R = 500 Ω.

Homework Equations

[itex] U_{rms} = \frac{U_{max}}{\sqrt{2}}[/itex]
[itex] Z_L = i \omega L; Z_C = -\frac{i}{\omega C} [/itex]
[itex] \omega = \frac{1}{\sqrt{LC}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

For the voltages to be equal, the voltage drop across the inductor and capacitor in parallel should be 0. I know that in the case of series resonance, the voltage drop across the inductor and the capacitor is 0. Although here we also have a capacitor in parallel of the inductor, and due to the parallel resonance the voltage across these two elements is maximum (infinite). So what is confusing me, is that what is the actual voltage drop when we have simultaneous resonances? Could we say that the across the capacitor in series it is -∞ V, across the inductor ∞ V, thus resulting in 0 V in total (in series)?

Attachments

• grandine.JPG
    grandine.JPG
    2.8 KB · Views: 512
Physics news on Phys.org
The voltmeter reads the rms value of the voltage. If the readings are the same it means the rms values of the voltages are the same. The phases can be different.

In case L=0 the voltages UAB and UAD are the same. But that is not the only possibility.

ehild

Last edited:
An AC voltmeter connected to the nodes A and B shows the same value as when connected to the nodes A and D
So what does this tell you about the voltage between B and D? How could you explain the occurrence of this value of voltage between B and D? What are its implications for the rest of the circuit?

NascentOxygen said:
So what does this tell you about the voltage between B and D? How could you explain the occurrence of this value of voltage between B and D? What are its implications for the rest of the circuit?

@NascentOxygen: Are you really suggesting that the voltage is zero between B and D?

ehild

ehild said:
@NascentOxygen: Are you really suggesting that the voltage is zero between B and D?

ehild

Shhhhhh! Not so loud! It was a hint directed to Rugile, it's his homework task.

I think the intent of the problem would be to find the non-trivial solution, or perhaps both the trivial and non-trivial solutions :wink:

NascentOxygen said:
Shhhhhh! Not so loud! It was a hint directed to Rugile, it's his homework task.

What you suggested was the first idea of the OP :

Rugile said:

The Attempt at a Solution

For the voltages to be equal, the voltage drop across the inductor and capacitor in parallel should be 0.

which is wrong. If UBD is zero, UAB=UAD, but from the fact that the voltmeter measures equal voltages between A , B and A , D does not follow that UBD=0. Can you imagine something else, not so trivial?

ehild

Thank you for all the answers!

So it does in fact have nothing to do with the resonance?

Why is the voltage the same when L = 0? Is it because of the phase shift?

This is really confusing! I don't really see any other way than UBD being zero. It seems pretty reasonable to me!

Rugile said:

It is not connected to resonance.

Rugile said:
Why is the voltage the same when L = 0? Is it because of the phase shift?

If L=0 the impedance of the inductor is zero. Connected parallel with C, the resultant is also zero. You can replace the parallel connected inductor and capacitor by a single wire of zero resistance connecting the points B and D. . There is no voltage drop across it, so the potential is the same at both points. This is the trivial solution of the problem.

Rugile said:
This is really confusing! I don't really see any other way than UBD being zero. It seems pretty reasonable to me!

The impedances are complex quantities and so are the voltages.

The complex impedance of the parallel LC is ZLC and that of the series R, C is ZRC, ##U_{AD}=U_{AB}\frac{Z_{RC}}{Z_{LC}+Z_{RC}}##

UAD is not in phase with UAB, but the voltmeter reads only the rms values. The two readings are equal - it means that the rms value (or the amplitude) of UAD is equal to those of UAB.
If ##|U_{AD}|=|U_{AB}|##

##|\frac{Z_{RC}}{Z_{LC}+Z_{RC}}|=1## follows.

Find L which satisfies the condition above.

ehild

Likes 1 person
... true.

Isn't so bad afterall.

Thank you a lot!

Could you figure out L?

ehild

Ok, so we get [itex] Z_{RC} = Z_{RC} + Z_{LC} [/itex], right?
Then [itex] Z_{LC} = 0 = \frac{-i \omega L * \frac{i}{\omega C}}{i \omega L - \frac{i}{\omega C}} = \frac{i \omega L}{1 - \omega^2 LC} [/itex] and, well, the answer - L=0...

That is the trivial case. But the voltage readings are the same if the magnitude of ZRC is equal to the magnitude of ZRC+ZLC, that is

##\big|R-\frac{j}{ωC} \big|=\big|R-\frac{j}{ωC}+\frac{jωL}{1-ω^2LC}\big|##

ehild

Okay, so Zlc = -2Zrc ( if we say that Zlc is negative and the modulus of difference of Zrc and Zlc has to be equal to Zrc, Zlc has to be twice as big). Then after rearranging we get: [itex] L=\frac{2(i-R\omega C)}{3i \omega^2 C}[/itex]. What do we do with the i? Should it be rearranged to L=a + ib, and L =√(a^2 + b^2)?

Rugile said:

You included the word "resonance" in the thread's subject---is this question from the the resonance topic of your textbook?

Does the textbook give you the answer to this question?

http://imageshack.com/a/img440/6184/icon2p.gif Could you check back with the original question, and confirm that it states voltages AB and AD measure as the same value.

* If the question is as you say, then my earlier hints can be ignored, because I had inadvertently swapped A and B. Such a swap is logical for a question dealing with resonance, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem is not from a textbook - I don't have the answer (I didn't make it up myself, either ) - and it's under a more broad topic - electromagnetism. I just though that resonance is probably the key to the problem.

And yes, the problem statement is correct in the first post.

Rugile said:
Okay, so Zlc = -2Zrc ( if we say that Zlc is negative and the modulus of difference of Zrc and Zlc has to be equal to Zrc, Zlc has to be twice as big). Then after rearranging we get: [itex] L=\frac{2(i-R\omega C)}{3i \omega^2 C}[/itex]. What do we do with the i? Should it be rearranged to L=a + ib, and L =√(a^2 + b^2)?

NO, L is real.

The impedances are complex quantities, Z=a+ib, and you get the magnitude (modulus) or absolute value of the impedance as ##|Z|=\sqrt{a^2+b^2}##

ZLC is imaginary, ZRC is complex.

Collect the real and imaginary terms on the right side and take the magnitude in both sides of the equation

##\big|R-\frac{j}{ωC} \big|=\big|R-\frac{j}{ωC}+\frac{jωL}{1-ω^2LC}\big|##

ehild

Calculate what would an AC voltmeter measure between A and D if ωL=2/3 (1/(ωC))

Last edited:
Likes Rugile
I haven't looked at the maths, but from the circuit I anticipate there to be 3 correct answers, one of which is L=0.

ehild said:
Collect the real and imaginary terms on the right side and take the magnitude in both sides of the equation

Got it...

[itex] |R- j\frac{1}{\omega C}| = | R - j(\frac{-1}{\omega C} + \frac{\omega L}{1 - \omega^2 L C} | => \sqrt{R^2 + (\frac{1}{\omega C})^2 } = \sqrt{ R^2 + ( \frac{\omega L}{1 - \omega^2 LC} - \frac{1}{\omega C} )^2 } [/itex]
## ##

Accidentally posted the post above before finishing it, and for some reason can't edit it, so I'll finish here:

[itex] |R- j\frac{1}{\omega C}| = | R - j(\frac{-1}{\omega C} + \frac{\omega L}{1 - \omega^2 L C} | => \sqrt{R^2 + (\frac{1}{\omega C})^2 } = \sqrt{ R^2 + ( \frac{\omega L}{1 - \omega^2 LC} - \frac{1}{\omega C} )^2 } [/itex]
## \frac{1}{\omega^2 C^2} = (\frac{\omega L}{1-\omega^2 LC} - \frac{1}{\omega C})^2 ##
## \frac{1}{\omega C} = \frac{\omega L}{1-\omega^2 LC} - \frac{1}{\omega C} ##
## L = \frac{2}{3 \omega^2 C}##

Thank you for the help (and patience)!

NascentOxygen said:
I haven't looked at the maths, but from the circuit I anticipate there to be 3 correct answers, one of which is L=0.

So is there one more answer?

[tex]\frac{1}{\omega^2 C^2} =\left( \frac{\omega L}{1-\omega^2 LC} - \frac{1}{\omega C}\right)^2.[/tex] has two roots: L=0 and L=2/3 1/(w^2C)

ehild

1. What is an AC circuit?

An AC circuit, or alternating current circuit, is a type of electrical circuit in which the current periodically changes direction. This is in contrast to a DC circuit, where the current flows in one direction. AC circuits are commonly used in household electricity and in electronics.

2. What is voltage drop in an AC circuit?

Voltage drop in an AC circuit refers to the decrease in voltage that occurs as the current flows through the components of the circuit. This can be caused by factors such as resistance or inductance and can affect the overall performance of the circuit.

3. How is voltage drop calculated in an AC circuit?

Voltage drop in an AC circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that voltage drop is equal to the current multiplied by the resistance. Additionally, in AC circuits, voltage drop can also be affected by reactance, which is the resistance to the change in current caused by inductance or capacitance.

4. What is resonance in an AC circuit?

Resonance in an AC circuit occurs when the frequency of the current matches the natural frequency of the circuit, resulting in a large increase in current and voltage. This can be beneficial in some circuits, but can also cause damage or malfunction if not properly controlled.

5. How can resonance be avoided in an AC circuit?

Resonance in an AC circuit can be avoided by using components with different natural frequencies, or by using a frequency filter to limit the current to a specific range. It is also important to carefully design and control the circuit to prevent resonance from occurring.