AC Circuits in capacitor

In summary: V remain constant, then the current in the circuit decreases. However, you need to look at the complete expression for the current and not just the amplitude of the function. Once you have fixed a particular omega, the amplitude is fixed really and all that you can hope to extract is from the argument of the sinusoidal function. The higher the omega is, the greater is the amplitude (as evident from your expressions denian) but greater is the ANGULAR FREQUENCY (radians per second) and so the function oscillates at a faster rate now.
denian
there is one question i need someone to help me to check and another question that i need someone to help with.

an alternationg voltage, V = Vosin (omega)(t) is applied across a pure capacitor of capacitance C.

derive an expression for the capacitive reactance.
i do it this way..

given V = Vosin (omega)(t)
but Q = CV
Q = CVosin (omega)(t)

I = dQ/dt
I = Io cos (omega)(t), where Io = CVo(omega)

capacitive reactance = Vo / Io
= 1 / C*(omega)

this is the only way to do it right?

the next question is

what is the effect on current in the circuit if the frequency of the power supply is increased, but its capacitance C of the capacitor and rms value of the alternating voltage V remain constant? without referring to the reactance of the circuit, explain your answer.

im not sure how to answer this question, and i don't answer for this question as well. what i can think of is... the value of the max current decreases because Io = CVo*omega

please correct me. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
First answer is correct.

Second - approach is right. But, like you said [tex]I_o = CV_o~ \omega [/tex]. So, how does increasing the frequency ([tex] \omega[/tex]) cause the current to decrease ?

Last edited:
when f increase, capacitor will be charged and discharged in a shorter time and more frequently. therefore, I increases.

am i making sense?

Gokul43201 said:
First answer is correct.

Second - approach is right. But, like you said [tex]I_o = CV_o~ \omega [/tex]. So, how does increasing the frequency ([tex] \omega[/tex]) cause the current to decrease ?

denian said:
when f increase, capacitor will be charged and discharged in a shorter time and more frequently. therefore, I increases.

You need to look at the complete expression for the current and not just the amplitude of the function. Once you have fixed a particular omega, the amplitude is fixed really and all that you can hope to extract is from the argument of the sinusoidal function. The higher the omega is, the greater is the amplitude (as evident from your expressions denian) but greater is the ANGULAR FREQUENCY (radians per second) and so the function oscillates at a faster rate now.

Now I am really wondering that since [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex] and so increasing omega is equivalent to increasing f (or vice versa), why do you consider only the peak value in the answer? Or am I misunderstanding your statement? Please clarify...

Cheers
Vivek

1. What is a capacitor in an AC circuit?

A capacitor is an electronic device that stores electrical energy in an electric field. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material, known as a dielectric. In an AC circuit, a capacitor can store and release electrical energy as the voltage and current oscillate.

2. How does a capacitor affect the AC circuit?

A capacitor has the ability to block DC current and allow AC current to pass through. It also causes a phase shift between the voltage and current in the circuit. Depending on the frequency of the AC signal and the capacitance of the capacitor, it can either lead or lag the voltage in the circuit.

3. What is the relationship between capacitance and AC frequency?

The capacitance of a capacitor and the frequency of an AC circuit are inversely proportional. This means that as the frequency increases, the capacitance decreases and vice versa. This is because a higher frequency AC signal requires a smaller capacitance to store the same amount of energy as a lower frequency signal.

4. How do you calculate the reactance of a capacitor in an AC circuit?

The reactance of a capacitor in an AC circuit can be calculated using the formula Xc = 1/(2πfC), where Xc is the reactance in ohms, f is the frequency in hertz, and C is the capacitance in farads. This formula shows that the reactance of a capacitor is inversely proportional to both the frequency and the capacitance.

5. What is the time constant in an AC circuit with a capacitor?

The time constant in an AC circuit with a capacitor is the amount of time it takes for the capacitor to charge or discharge to 63.2% of its maximum voltage. It is calculated by multiplying the capacitance (in farads) by the resistance (in ohms) in the circuit. A smaller time constant indicates a faster charging or discharging of the capacitor, while a larger time constant indicates a slower process.