1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

<ac circuits >

1. Sep 3, 2009 #1
    A)) A choke boil placed in series with an electric lamp in an AC circuit causes the lamp to become dim. Why?
    B)) A variable capacitor "added" in this circuit maybe adjusted until the lamp glows with normal brilliance. Explain how this is possible

ATTEMPT:
    If V is the voltage of alternating source, and I is the current flowing when no inductor or capacitor is connected, then
    I 1=V/R
    If now a choke of inductive reactance Xl is placed in series with the electric lamp, the new impedance of the circuit will be
    Z 1=underroot<Rsquare + Xlsquare>
    Therefore current flowing will be
    I 2=V/[underroot<Rsquare + Xlsquare>]
    From the comparison of equations of current, we see that I 2 < I 1 and that is why the electric lamp is dimmed on placing a choke in the circuit.
    When a variable capacitor is added in series, Xc opposes Xl and thus
    Z 2=underroot<Rsquare + (Xlsquare-Xcsquare)>
    Therefore,
    I 3=V/[underroot<Rsquare + (Xlsquare-Xcsquare)>]
    If Xl = Xc, then Z 2=R
    And current becomes equal to I 1 as if there's no reactance in the circuit and hence the lamp glows with normal brilliance.

Can you check whether this is a correct explanation?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 3, 2009 #2

rl.bhat

Homework Helper

Yes. Your explanation is correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook