Solving a Complex Series Circuit Problem: Help Needed!

In summary, the question is asking for the peak p.d. across a series combination of a 1(miu)F capacitor and a coil with R=50(ohm) and L=49mH, through which a current of r.m.s. value 0.03A and f=500Hz passes. The answer cannot be found by simply adding the peak p.d. of the capacitor and coil, and two possible approaches to solve the problem are through phasors or finding the equivalent impedence.
Clari
Hi there! I have some problems in this topic...real difficult to me. ^-^

A 1(miu)F capacitor is connected in series with a coil of R=50(ohm) and L=49mH and an a.c. ammeter. A current of r.m.s. value 0.03A and f=500Hz is passes through the combination. What is the peak p.d. across the combination?

That question is in part c, that means i have solved the peak p.d. across the capacitor(which is=13.5V) and that across the coil(which is=6.8V). well, i know the answer should not be (13.5V+6.8V), but then i don't know how... :frown:

please help me.

Physics news on Phys.org
Clari said:
Hi there! I have some problems in this topic...real difficult to me. ^-^

A 1(miu)F capacitor is connected in series with a coil of R=50(ohm) and L=49mH and an a.c. ammeter. A current of r.m.s. value 0.03A and f=500Hz is passes through the combination. What is the peak p.d. across the combination?

That question is in part c, that means i have solved the peak p.d. across the capacitor(which is=13.5V) and that across the coil(which is=6.8V). well, i know the answer should not be (13.5V+6.8V), but then i don't know how... :frown:

please help me.

The approach will depend on what methods you have learned. I'm guessing that you have learned about phasors, which treat the potential differences across elements as rotating vectors with some angle between them. That angle represents the phase difference between the potentials for the different elements. The p.d. for the resistor will be in phase with the current. The p.d. for the coil will lead the current by 90 degrees and the p.d. for the capacitor will lag the current by 90 degrees. Have you heard of ELI the ICE man?

Another approach is to find the equivalent impedence of the circuit, for which you should have a formula involving a square root of some combination of circuit element parameters and the frequency. The product of the equivalent impedence times the current will give the p.d. of the combination.

Hi there! It looks like you're having trouble solving a complex series circuit problem. Don't worry, I'm here to help! Let's break down the problem and tackle it step by step.

First, let's calculate the total impedance of the circuit. We know that impedance is the combination of resistance and reactance in a circuit. In this case, we have a capacitor and a coil, which have different reactances.

To find the total impedance, we use the formula Z = √(R^2 + (XL - XC)^2), where R is the resistance, XL is the inductive reactance, and XC is the capacitive reactance.

So, Z = √(50^2 + (2πfL - 1/(2πfC))^2), where f is the frequency, L is the inductance, and C is the capacitance.

Plugging in the values given in the problem, we get Z = √(50^2 + (2π(500)(0.049) - 1/(2π(500)(1x10^-6)))^2 = 50.85 ohms.

Next, we can use Ohm's law (V = IZ) to find the peak voltage. We know the r.m.s. value of the current (0.03A), so we can use that to find the peak current (I = √2 x 0.03 = 0.0424A).

Now, plugging in the values, we get V = (0.0424)(50.85) = 2.16V.

Therefore, the peak p.d. across the combination of the capacitor and coil is 2.16V. This is not the sum of the individual peak voltages across the capacitor and coil because they are not in phase with each other and their voltages do not add up directly.

I hope this helps you understand how to solve the problem! If you have any further questions, feel free to ask. Good luck!

1. How do I identify the components in a complex series circuit?

In order to solve a complex series circuit problem, the first step is to identify all the components in the circuit. This includes resistors, capacitors, inductors, and any other devices that may be present. Once you have identified all the components, you can move on to the next step of solving the problem.

2. How do I calculate the total resistance in a complex series circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a complex series circuit, you need to add up the individual resistances of each component. This can be done using Ohm's Law (R = V/I) or by using the formula for resistors in series (Rt = R1 + R2 + R3...).

3. What is the difference between a series and a parallel circuit?

In a series circuit, all components are connected in a single loop, whereas in a parallel circuit, components are connected in multiple branches. In a series circuit, the same current flows through each component, while in a parallel circuit, the current is divided between different branches.

4. How do I calculate the voltage drop across each component in a complex series circuit?

To calculate the voltage drop across each component in a complex series circuit, you can use Ohm's Law (V = IR) or the formula for voltage in a series circuit (Vt = V1 + V2 + V3...). This will give you the individual voltage drops across each component.

5. What is the purpose of using Kirchhoff's Laws in solving a complex series circuit problem?

Kirchhoff's Laws are used to analyze the flow of current and voltage in a circuit. They can be used to determine the current at any point in a circuit, as well as to calculate the voltage drops across components. In a complex series circuit, these laws can help to simplify the calculations and make it easier to solve the problem.