Calculate Impedance of AC Circuits with 1.20kΩ Resistor and 6.8μF Capacitor

• Thread starter airkapp
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ac
In summary, the series combination of a 1.20 kΩ resistor and a 6.8 μF capacitor has an impedance of -j/\omega C.
airkapp
A 1.20 kΩ resistor and a 6.8 μF capacitor are connected in series to an AC source. Calculate the impedence of the circuit if the source frequency is a) 60 Hz, b) 60,000 Hz

I think I should this equation:

Vrms = Irms, Z : XL = 2ΠfL : XC = 1 / 2ΠfC

Z = √R2 + ( XL – XC )2 so: Irms = Vrms / Z

My main problem here is I don’t know how to do the equation without a given L. Do I need a given L (in Henry’s) to do the problem, and if I don’t, how else can I do it? Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
air

Physics news on Phys.org
airkapp said:
A 1.20 kΩ resistor and a 6.8 μF capacitor are connected in series to an AC source. Calculate the impedence of the circuit if the source frequency is a) 60 Hz, b) 60,000 Hz

Z = √R2 + ( XL – XC )2 so: Irms = Vrms / Z

My main problem here is I don’t know how to do the equation without a given L. Do I need a given L (in Henry’s) to do the problem, and if I don’t, how else can I do it? Any help appreciated,
Thanks,
air

First: Read this again "A 1.20 kΩ resistor and a 6.8 μF capacitor are connected in series"

Second: what are the impedance equations?

Third: How do you deal with resistances in series circuits (impedance is analogous to resistance).

Finally: Reread this "Calculate the impedence of the circuit if the source frequency is a) 60 Hz, b) 60,000 Hz". RMS voltage or current are not required for this calculation.

Good luck.

airkapp said:
A 1.20 kΩ resistor and a 6.8 µF capacitor are connected in series to an AC source. Calculate the impedence of the circuit if the source frequency is a) 60 Hz, b) 60,000 Hz

Z = vR2 + ( XL – XC )2 so: Irms = Vrms / Z

Thanks,
air

You only need an inductance if there's an inductor in the circuit. Here there is none.

It's best to deal with impedances as complex quantities since you can handle both magnitude and phase neatly in one step.

The impedance of the capacitor is [tex]\frac{-j}{\omega C}[/tex], a purely imaginary value.

The impedance of the resistor is just [tex]R[/tex], a real value.

The impedance of the series combination of the two is found just like in a d.c. circuit, by addition, giving a complex value :

[tex]Z = R - \frac{j}{\omega C}[/tex]

The magnitude of the impedance is found like finding the magnitude of any complex number :

[tex]|Z| = \sqrt{R^2 + \frac{1}{{\omega}^2 C^2}}[/tex]

The phase is found by getting the argument :

[tex]\phi = \arctan{\frac{\frac{-1}{\omega C}}{R}} = - \arctan{\frac{1}{\omega RC}}[/tex]

Since [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex] where [tex]f[/tex] is the given frequency, work out the magnitude and phase in each case, and you're done.

EDIT : Sorry for all the changes in the LaTex, I was having a tough time formatting it properly. It's fixed now.

Last edited:
Curious3141 said:
You only need an inductance if there's an inductor in the circuit. Here there is none.

It's best to deal with impedances as complex quantities since you can handle both magnitude and phase neatly in one step.

The impedance of the capacitor is [tex]\frac{-j}{\omega C}[/tex], a purely imaginary value.

The impedance of the resistor is just [tex]R[/tex], a real value.

The impedance of the series combination of the two is found just like in a d.c. circuit, by addition, giving a complex value :

[tex]Z = R - \frac{j}{\omega C}[/tex]

The magnitude of the impedance is found like finding the magnitude of any complex number :

[tex]|Z| = \sqrt{R^2 + \frac{1}{{\omega}^2 C^2}}[/tex]

The phase is found by getting the argument :

[tex]\phi = \arctan{\frac{\frac{-1}{\omega C}}{R}} = - \arctan{\frac{1}{\omega RC}}[/tex]

Since [tex]\omega = 2\pi f[/tex] where [tex]f[/tex] is the given frequency, work out the magnitude and phase in each case, and you're done.

EDIT : Sorry for all the changes in the LaTex, I was having a tough time formatting it properly. It's fixed now.

thanks. That's what I thought about the inductance but I wasn't sure. I'm new to this. So the "i" is just imaginary. Everything else seems to just be math given the equations you gave me.

thanks again.

Last edited:
airkapp said:
thanks. That's what I thought about the inductance but I wasn't sure. I'm new to this. So the "i" is just imaginary. Everything else seems to just be math given the equations you gave me.

thanks again.

Instead of "i" (which can be confused with current), physicists use "j" to signify the square root of negative one.

Complex impedances are like phasors. A purely real impedance means the voltage and current are in phase. A purely imaginary impedance means the voltage and current are 90 degrees out of phase, which leads or lags depends on the sign of the impedance. A complex impedance means voltage and current are out of phase at some other angle.

1. What is impedance?

Impedance is the measure of the opposition that a circuit presents to the flow of alternating current (AC). It is a combination of resistance, which is the opposition to the flow of direct current (DC), and reactance, which is the opposition to the change in current flow in an AC circuit.

2. How do I calculate impedance?

To calculate impedance, you will need to use a formula that takes into account the values of the resistor and capacitor in the circuit. The formula is Z = √(R² + Xc²), where Z is the impedance, R is the resistance, and Xc is the reactance of the circuit. In this case, with a 1.20kΩ resistor and a 6.8μF capacitor, the impedance would be √((1.20kΩ)² + (6.8μF)²) = 1.21kΩ.

3. What is the unit of impedance?

The unit of impedance is ohms (Ω). This is the same unit used for resistance, as impedance is a combination of resistance and reactance.

4. How does impedance affect AC circuits?

Impedance affects AC circuits by limiting the flow of current. The higher the impedance, the more opposition there is to the flow of current. This can cause changes in voltage and current throughout the circuit, leading to different behaviors than in DC circuits.

5. Why is it important to calculate impedance in AC circuits?

Calculating impedance in AC circuits is important because it helps us understand how the circuit will behave when AC current is flowing through it. It also allows us to determine the appropriate components and values to use in a circuit to achieve our desired results. Without calculating impedance, we may encounter unexpected issues or inefficiencies in our circuit design.