Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC current

1. Apr 27, 2013 #1
    what does the positive and negative half cycles in an ac represent?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 27, 2013 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The direction of the current. That's why it's called ALTERNATING current.

4. Apr 27, 2013 #3
    What does the C in AC stand for?

5. Apr 27, 2013 #4

jim hardy

Science Advisor
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

I gather you're referring to a waveform?
    It's a graph of volts versus time.
    Traditionally horizontal axis is time; vertical is voltage with positive up and negative down.

6. Apr 28, 2013 #5
    Personally I never liked the "C" - because power requires voltage AND current. In AC BOTH the voltage and current change polarity - so (typically) the power is always flowing in one direction.

7. Sep 19, 2016 #6
    Positive and negative cycles represent the direction of the alternating current.AC reverses its direction many times in a second.Number of times it changes its direction in a second is measured as frequency.Go through the Alternating current for more information..

8. Sep 19, 2016 #7

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Except for the special case of the load being purely resistive, the power in AC does alternate with each positive pulse followed by a smaller negative pulse to deliver an average power that is positive.

9. Sep 19, 2016 #8

anorlunda

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Sorry, but no. The positive and negative half cycles are the same size and there is no pulsing. When V and I are in-phase, V*I is positive when both V and I are positive, and V*I is positive when V and I are both negative. Look at the drawings in the Insight article.
    https://www.physicsforums.com/insights/ac-power-analysis-part-1-basics/

10. Sep 19, 2016 #9

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Maybe you didn't understand what I wrote?

That's a useful article, including this figure which neatly illustrates the general case I describe:

45.gif

Last edited: Sep 19, 2016
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook