How Can an AC Generator Be Converted to Produce DC?

In summary, the conversation discusses converting a generator to produce direct current instead of alternating current. The solution involves changing the slip rings into a commutator, and it is uncertain if the resulting DC would be steady. The graph representing the change in EMF over time is also discussed, with the question of whether it would be a sinusoidal graph or not being raised.
jumpyroo92

Homework Statement

How might you convert the generator in (http://www.aerospaceweb.org/question/propulsion/jet/generator.jpg) so that instead of producing alternating emf and current it will produce direct current? Would it be a steady D.C? Sketch a graph to show how the emf would vary with time.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

(http://image.tutorvista.com/content/electricity/dc-generator.jpeg)
I drew something like this. In other words, I assumed that you just change the slop rings into a commutator.
I don't know about whether or not it'd be steady D.C.
As for the graph I think it's just a sinusoidal graph?

Physics news on Phys.org
jumpyroo92 said:

The Attempt at a Solution

(http://image.tutorvista.com/content/electricity/dc-generator.jpeg)
I drew something like this. In other words, I assumed that you just change the slop rings into a commutator.
I don't know about whether or not it'd be steady D.C.
As for the graph I think it's just a sinusoidal graph?

yes the commutator will work. But as the angle coil makes with field goes from 90° to 0°, does the emf remain constant?

Why do you think it is a sinusoidal graph? (this will directly show whether or not is a steady DC)

1. How does an AC/DC generator work?

An AC/DC generator works by converting mechanical energy into electrical energy through the process of electromagnetic induction. It uses a magnet and a coil of wire to create an alternating current, which can then be converted into direct current.

2. What is the difference between an AC and DC generator?

The main difference between an AC and DC generator is the type of current they produce. AC generators produce an alternating current, meaning the flow of electricity periodically reverses direction. DC generators produce a direct current, which flows in only one direction.

3. How is an AC/DC generator different from an alternator?

An AC/DC generator and an alternator both use the same principle of electromagnetic induction to produce electricity. However, an alternator is specifically designed to convert mechanical energy into alternating current, whereas an AC/DC generator can also produce direct current.

4. What are the main components of an AC/DC generator?

The main components of an AC/DC generator include a rotor (which rotates to create a magnetic field), a stator (which contains a coil of wire), a commutator (which converts AC to DC), and a set of brushes (which make contact with the commutator).

5. What are some common uses for AC/DC generators?

AC/DC generators have a wide range of uses, including power generation in electric power plants, providing backup power for buildings and homes, powering vehicles such as cars and trains, and providing electricity in remote areas without access to a power grid.