1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

AC electromagnet

1. Sep 17, 2008 #1
    I'm trying to make an AC electromagnet (better frequency response compared to DC electromagnets) I could not find any document, book, or source to check if I'm on the right way or not. I have a coil and a core and working on them to increase magnetic field, right now it is not high enough. Anyone having experience?
    Thanks a lot
    Mike

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 18, 2008 #2

madmike159

Gold Member

More turns and higher current make it stronger. The core needs to be soft iron for best results. If you get a nice long think wire wrapped round a core and plug it into the mains it works very well, however its dangerous! and I wouldn't advise it. (If you use a low resistance high power resistor in the circuit you won't short out your supply.)
    Also you could get a horce shoe shaed core and wrap the wire round one side and then in the opposite direction on the other side to make a N and S pole.

4. Sep 19, 2008 #3
    What what purpose? How can a 'DC' electromagnet have a frequency response??

There are lots of magnetic materials for a variety of uses up into the microwave region.. Ferrites and powdered iron.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook