Solving AC Generator Problem: Find Voltage Output

In summary, the conversation discusses a question about the alternating voltage of a generator represented by the equation E = Eo sin wt. The question asks for the voltage output of the source in units of V, and the participants go on to discuss potential solutions and clarifications. Ultimately, they determine that the question was asking for the rms voltage and suggest that the wording could have been clearer.
fiyavan
Hello guys

I am having a problem understanding the wording of a question, perhaps someone can help me explain it.

The alternating voltage of a generator is represented by the equation

E = Eo sin wt,

where E is in volts, Eo = 346V, w = 685 rad/s, and t is in seconds.

Find the voltage output of the source. Answer in units of V.

I've found that w = 2pif where f is the frequency of the generator, which gives me 109.021 Hz in the frequency, that was part 1 of the problem. However I can not find any formula that relate to this voltage output. I thought at first it was asking for E and to use Eo and sin 685 to get the answer but that was not the right one. What do you guys think the question is asking for?

Physics news on Phys.org
Either;

(1)The question wishes you to calculate the voltage at a defined time and the time was omitted by mistake.

(2)The question requires to to calculate the rms voltage, in which case almost all of the information is superfluous.

Is this the whole question or is there subsequent questions using the same function?

the question didn't give me a t to work with so I don't think it's asking for the voltage at a instant time.

but it did turn out it was just asking for rms voltage... wish the question was worded more clearly :yuck:

thanx Hootenanny for your tip :smile:

My pleasure :smile:

1. What is an AC generator?

An AC generator, also known as an alternator, is a device that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy by using electromagnetic induction. It consists of a rotating coil of wire, called the rotor, and a stationary set of coils, called the stator.

2. How do I determine the voltage output of an AC generator?

The voltage output of an AC generator can be determined by multiplying the number of turns in the coil by the angular speed of the rotor and the magnetic field strength. This can be represented by the equation V = NABω, where V is the voltage output, N is the number of turns, A is the area of the coil, B is the magnetic field strength, and ω is the angular speed of the rotor.

3. What factors can affect the voltage output of an AC generator?

The voltage output of an AC generator can be affected by several factors, including the speed of the rotor, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the circuit. Changes in any of these factors can result in a change in the voltage output.

4. How can I troubleshoot problems with the voltage output of an AC generator?

If you are experiencing issues with the voltage output of an AC generator, you can troubleshoot by checking the speed of the rotor, the strength of the magnetic field, the number of turns in the coil, and the resistance of the circuit. You can also check for any loose connections or damaged components and make adjustments accordingly.

5. Can I increase the voltage output of an AC generator?

Yes, the voltage output of an AC generator can be increased by increasing the speed of the rotor, increasing the strength of the magnetic field, or increasing the number of turns in the coil. However, it is important to note that increasing the voltage output beyond the maximum capacity of the generator can damage the equipment and should be done with caution.